Trunk mount batteries - where to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk mount batteries - where to buy?

From what I have seen it appears that in the last 2 years availability of direct fitment vented batteries for trunk mount E30 usage has dwindled to almost nothing.

According to some light internet usage the following batteries will fit (unclear if all are vented):

Bosch S5599B
    Bosch S4569B
    Interstate MTP-91/T6
    Everstart MAXX-T5
    Exide 91C
    Exide LB3/91X
    AC Delco PRO 91PS
    AC Delco Advantage 91A
    AC Delco PRO 90PS

Ideally I wanted to get another Bosch as the one that I had with a manufacture date of 07/09 continues to work perfectly in my daily. However, I am open to any brand as I understand that many batteries are only rebrands of a couple manufacturers. Just as an interesting aside, the 324td I picked up earlier this year has a trunk mounted battery and no provision for venting (that I saw). So is it possible that vented batteries are unnecessary to prevent rust, which is my objective here as I am not too worried about the safety aspect.

So, before I make my assortment of calls/visits to local providers next week I'd like to hear where you are finding batteries.

Not sure about the whole venting thing, but I will say if I was in the market for a battery, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Interstate. They make a great battery.

Comment

Interstates are good as far as I have seen. Costco is the local supplier near me, but they have never had the right one in stock, will inquire if they can order it. However, they did have one that seemed as if it was made to fit once you took the battery tray out and just set it in there.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        Interstates are good as far as I have seen. Costco is the local supplier near me, but they have never had the right one in stock, will inquire if they can order it. However, they did have one that seemed as if it was made to fit once you took the battery tray out and just set it in there.
        I hate to say it but WalMart. They have these batteries in stock at least as far as local to Seattle/Lynnwood.
        Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

I got a Federated 91-775 from my local auto parts wholesaler. Perfect fit. Came with vents on the ends, plugs and adapters for them. I think I paid around $80 for it. Not sure.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

just got a Bosch from my local Pep Boys a couple of months ago. it has the little nipple on the top to attach the vent tube to.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
              I got a Federated 91-775 from my local auto parts wholesaler. Perfect fit. Came with vents on the ends, plugs and adapters for them. I think I paid around $80 for it. Not sure.
              Never heard of Federated. Which store?

Originally posted by Silver Wagon View Post
              just got a Bosch from my local Pep Boys a couple of months ago. it has the little nipple on the top to attach the vent tube to.
              Which Bosch, proper fitment?

Comment

i don't know the model of the battery but is the proper battery for an E30, so it fits just fine. if i remember, i will look tomorrow night and reply back on the model number.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                  Never heard of Federated. Which store?
                  It's a rebrand. The parts distributor I got it from isn't nationwide, I'm guessing the brand isn't either.

Napa 7591 cross-references to it and the battery looks the same. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...591_0217928178

Also:
                  Parts Plus 9165
                  Carquest 9170
                  Deka 691MF
                  Parts Master 91-775
                  Autozone 691MF

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  [CoTM: 4-18]
                  '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

I run an optima red top in the stock trunk location with a self-fabbed tiedown that works fine. I can get the model number after the weekend if you care, or dig through my build thread for a picture of the setup. It uses the stock e30 battery wiring with no alterations.
                    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop
                    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Working...
                    X