Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing separate M42.. What to look for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing separate M42.. What to look for?

Looking to buy an M42. It was just ripped from a parts car last week. Couldnt get videos of the car-- starter was sold separately. Nothing else on the engine was sold..

I am going to pull the valve cover, but tearing down to the head doesnt seem reasonable. Seller claims the engine ran and ran well.. but I have no mean to test it.

Any ideas on what I can look at as well?

replace all the timing components........these are always an issue on high mileage M42 and can be tragic if they fail. This is not cheap either about $350 in parts alone. Plastic water hose under the intake and intake manifold gaskets also require attention. good luck.
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
    IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

i would just turn it over by hand. If the engine has good compression and inside the oil cap looks clean go for it. Id check the pitting in the t stat housing too. it'll give you an idea how good or bad the profile gasket could be. Look at the cam gear teeth. possibly pull the lower oil pan and see if there are pieces of timing case...

All of these checks should give you a good idea of engine condition

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
      Ig:ryno_pzk
      I like the tuna here.
      Originally posted by lambo
      Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by getouth View Post
        replace all the timing components........these are always an issue on high mileage M42 and can be tragic if they fail. This is not cheap either about $350 in parts alone. Plastic water hose under the intake and intake manifold gaskets also require attention. good luck.
        i second the plastic water hose, mine broke and almost left me stranded. Simple part and easier to replace with it out of the car. Also oil filter housing oring and gasket to prevent oil leaks. Water pump maybe, mine was seized in the block but still worked fine. I literally pounded on it with a hammer for a couple hours until the housing broke.

Maybe the later m44 chain tensioner
        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Thanks! I'll save this info for later. Not at the rebuild stage yet-- I just want to make sure Im not getting a bum engine.. or do what I can to figure that out.

I dont think I can strip down the engine, get to the timing case, etc. Maybe I can.. I figure whatever would lead to the fewest bolts undone would be most appropriate.

Comment

Do the timing case. It's just too frustrating to put in an engine and have it
            munch itself 3 weeks later...

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Rear metal water pipe in head will give u a clue on internal corrosion. Pointy cam sprockets = timing chain component wear. Push / pull on the crank hub to check for too much crankshaft endplay.

Comment

Working...
              X