Resurface dual-mass flywheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resurface dual-mass flywheel?

Is it necessary to resurface the flywheel when changing the clutch? I was out of project funds and found a good/used clutch and pressure plate for $20 but I started to read that most people resurface the flywheel when installing a new clutch. If Im going to pay for a shop to do that, I'd almost rather spend the money and buy a new clutch and pressure plate. New clutch and pressure plate is $200+... just trying to cut corners to save $$$.

Or maybe I can just clean the surface myself and install the used clutch?

This is not a daily, its a weekend garage toy that wont see a lot of miles or track use.

Originally posted by jaredmac11 View Post
    Is it necessary to resurface the flywheel when changing the clutch? I was out of project funds and found a good/used clutch and pressure plate for $20 but I started to read that most people resurface the flywheel when installing a new clutch. If Im going to pay for a shop to do that, I'd almost rather spend the money and buy a new clutch and pressure plate. New clutch and pressure plate is $200+... just trying to cut corners to save $$$.

Or maybe I can just clean the surface myself and install the used clutch?

This is not a daily, its a weekend garage toy that wont see a lot of miles or track use.
    If the flywheel surface isn't all gouged and warped, hit it with Emery paper to clean up the glaze, do the same to the disc and pressure plate. Have gotten years of good use out of a used clutch/flywheel in my M42 E30.
    Most will say don't cheap out on a while your in there thing, but it's not a racecar.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Get yourself a set of sanding/abrasive discs
      Attached Files
      NASA
      BMWCCA member
      PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
      1997 M3 sedan
      2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Everything in my Engineering brain says machine a friction surface before use especially with a new clutch, but i did slap a rather nasty looking m20 dual mass flywheel into my car and it seemed to work fine with a matching rather nasty looking second hand clutch.

I must admit i didnt run it for very long as i ended up swapping out for a single mass flywheel and clutch (different gearboxes, long story...).

What is probably more important is if the springs and the damping goop in the dual mass flywheel are in working order. I must admit though the dual mass flywheel i put on seemed to be very loose (having never seen one before), but it didnt seem to rattle or anything in use. There is probably some kind of spec to check on it in the bentley.

Clean up the suraface by hand, slap it in, go hooning!

side note: alot of sources say "dual mass cannot be machined". I suspect it can be....possible issue being that its a bit trickier to hold still. as if you clamp it on the engine side, you now have springs and damping holding the surface you want to machine. I don't suspect a lathe operator would be too keen to machine that.
        Last edited by e30davie; 03-08-2018, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Great input everyone. I love the idea of abrasive disks with my wrench or air drill. That would clean it up well.

Its a used clutch, so Ill save the machining for the Single mass pickup or new clutch. Plus, Ive droppd this trans and engine more times this year than Ive installed a clutch in my life.

Comment

Used pressure plate and flywheel and friction disc?

Don't touch it- if it was working before, it will continue to work.

New friction- LIGHT scuff. The discs above, used carefully, will do that.
            Used carelessly, they will gouge the surface, and make the clutch grabby AND more
            prone to slip.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
              Used pressure plate and flywheel and friction disc?

Don't touch it- if it was working before, it will continue to work.

New friction- LIGHT scuff. The discs above, used carefully, will do that.
              Used carelessly, they will gouge the surface, and make the clutch grabby AND more
              prone to slip.

t

The used clutch and PP were never paired with the DMF. I got them from separate cars/projects. This was a year or two back so I cant recall the circumstances. My plan was a brillo pad to be honest. Light scuffing to remove any surface rust or grease.

Comment

Originally posted by jaredmac11 View Post
                The used clutch and PP were never paired with the DMF. I got them from separate cars/projects. This was a year or two back so I cant recall the circumstances. My plan was a brillo pad to be honest. Light scuffing to remove any surface rust or grease.
                Your on the right track, clean it up, put it back together, enjoy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I might be in the market for a flywheel anyways. the DMF is rock solid and wont move. Shouldnt it move a bit?

Comment

Working...
                  X