Main bearing #3 toast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main bearing #3 toast?

As I continue refreshing my M42, I got to taking my upper oil pan off to get a quick look at the general condition of the bottom end. I unfortunately saw what looks to be pieces of bearing that may have broken off on the center main bearing, however I'm not 100% sure. Here's a picture:

Click image for larger version  Name:	P_20191216_204608_004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.8 KB ID:	9892599

So the question is, should I be looking into getting new main bearings? Or am I just being paranoid? (I sure don't think so)
    I don't want to have to take the bottom end apart if I don't have to, but I will fix what needs to be fixed to get this motor running reliably. The oil I drained from the motor didn't look shiny or metallic, and I could only find what seemed to be very tiny chunks of the timing chain guides, nothing I believe to be a cause for concern, but I may be wrong. The majority of the timing chain system looks to be in decent shape, however it definitely needs a new tensioner.

Pull that cap off and take another photo.

Comment

I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. Do I need a torque wrench to get that cap back on and can I reuse the bolts? I don't have a lot of tools with me at the moment.

Comment

You absolutely want a torque wrench to reassemble. Bolts are okay to reuse.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_146849.jpg Views:	4 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	9892752 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_146850.jpg Views:	4 Size:	74.3 KB ID:	9892753
          Definitely some good damage there, not quite sure why this would happen. I pulled the other caps off as well and all the other bearings looked to be in decent shape, minus a few small marks here and there.

Comment

Not an expert, but that has to be contaminant damage or a blocked galley as the upper is okay. Excellent spot when you pulled the pan BTW!

Comment

Or oil starvation...

The bearing is done, the crank might polish- BMW mains are hellaciously stout.

Given how that looks, tho, time to look at all the rod bearings. #3 is the canary in this coal mine...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
              X