X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jwetering
    replied
    Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
    OEM isn't that expensive, retail is $113.81 each, you can probably get them cheaper online somewhere. They're super smooth too, I can barely feel the m42 idling. I put MTC on my e34 (similar style mount to the m42) and they vibrate like crazy, almost like a soft poly mount. The MTC are only about $30 cheaper than the OEM, it's worth it to spring for the factory stuff.
    Update because a buddy is asking question about m42 mounts and boy have I got answers...

So I've been running the MTC mounts for a couple of years. I don't like the dampening, the car buzzes like a mkI vw golf.

Stick with OEM guys. The aftermarket ones cost just as much and don't work as well.

Leave a comment:

• Andrew325is
    replied
    I installed new genuine BMW E30 M42 mounts too and I didn't have any alignment issues.

Leave a comment:

• E30SPDFRK
    replied
    OEM isn't that expensive, retail is $113.81 each, you can probably get them cheaper online somewhere. They're super smooth too, I can barely feel the m42 idling. I put MTC on my e34 (similar style mount to the m42) and they vibrate like crazy, almost like a soft poly mount. The MTC are only about $30 cheaper than the OEM, it's worth it to spring for the factory stuff.

Leave a comment:

• jrobie79
    replied
    Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
    Just wanted to update this thread, I just ordered a pair of M42 mounts from BMW, and they showed up oriented correctly.

Manufacturer is Freudenberg, manufacture date is 2/16, so I assume they found some old stock from before the defected ones.
    I need new motor mounts, how were the MTCs holding up? I hate to spring for the OE ones and have them be the wrong ones, so if the MTC ones are cheaper I'll just get those prior to ordering the OE ones so at least I have something I can drive with if the OE ones I receive turn out to be the incorrect ones. Where did you get the MTCs? is there a different part # for those?

Leave a comment:

• E30SPDFRK
    replied
    Just wanted to update this thread, I just ordered a pair of M42 mounts from BMW, and they showed up oriented correctly.

Manufacturer is Freudenberg, manufacture date is 2/16, so I assume they found some old stock from before the defected ones.

Leave a comment:

• TobyB
    replied
    Ahhh, BMW 'mobile tradition'

We've been dealing with this with 2002's for some time now. Like, the last 20 years...

BMW subs out manufacture of their older parts, and historically, not always very well.
    This seems to confirm that they're still doing it, and not checking their shit before they ship it.
    You'd think, as the OE, they'd bother to do a dimensional check of what they've ordered and are selling as their own...

t

Leave a comment:

• bmwman91
    replied
    I received my mounts today and they are manufactured correctly. There is no indication of which company manufactured them, but the BMW dealer sticker on them said that they were made in Romania.

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the stamped steel bottoms of yours are shiny silver colored. Mine have the yellow zinc chromate plating on them, if that somehow serves as some sort of indicator.

I bought them from getbmwparts.com which is the online retail arm of BMW of Silver Spring / Tischer.

Leave a comment:

• bmwman91
    replied
    Hmm, well I think I will be speaking with the dealer that I am buying the mounts through. The whole order is currently on hold as a couple of odd bits are on order from Germany, so I have time to check with them on this. If the ones that they have are also wrong, then I am not sure what I want to do. The non-OEM ones are sort of notorious for crapping out! I have sent a message to the part vendor asking them to verify the feature positions. I have no idea if being in the US means that there is any difference in who manufactures the parts for the dealer, but I doubt it since these cars are old and honestly, I'd bet there is only one company making this part anymore!

I used to run M30 motor mounts, which worked fine but transmitted a lot of vibration and noise. God help me, I don't want to go back to those! Does anyone know of aftermarket poly ones which are softer than the M30 rubber mounts? Obviously those won't be as soft as the stock hydraulic ones, but at least it would be an option if BMW does not fix this (and I am not sure if they really have a reason to care about this since E30's with the M42 made up ~3% of all E30's which are basically obsolete).

EDIT:
    So there are these, as an option. I am not sure how much harder they are than stock, or how they are versus the M30 rubber mounts I ran many years ago (which were sort of awful lol). I've emailed them asking how they might compare.
    https://www.garagistic.com/products/...gs-11811137076
    Last edited by bmwman91; 04-23-2020, 09:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jwetering
    replied
    Plus the tabs aren't the problem - it's the studs up top. After grinding the tabs you would still need to rotate the mount 180 degrees at which point the motor mount would be hanging half off the perch.

Here's a copy of the graphic that was sent to BMW Canada which led them to acknowledge the error. Credit to a local e30 enthusiast called Louie. He's the guy that installed the dealer sourced mounts which don't fit. He's on this forum but I don't know his handle. He may pipe up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20200422-WA0011.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.0 KB ID:	9920075

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    Interesting, hope the MTC ones hold up. Also, removing the tab seems to be okay on solid mounts, but considering the construction of the filled mounts I strongly suspect that much offset or rotation would quickly cause mount failure.

Leave a comment:

• bmwman91
    replied
    Wow, that is crazy. Someone somewhere along the line read a drawing wrong and set up their tooling backwards. This is of interest to me because I have a pair of OEM M42 mounts on order as well for when I reinstall my engine. I guess that I will either need to hope that they are made by someone other than Freudenberg or grind off the tabs. Thanks for the heads up!

Leave a comment:

• jwetering
    replied
    Update:

The guy who's car and mounts I inspected and found to be wrong compiled my photos and sent an email to BMW Canada (we are in the Vancouver BC area). They said they were aware of the issue and were trying to resolve it.

Nice to see they aren't trying to hide anything anyway.

Leave a comment:

• jwetering
    replied

Yes, the part number stamped on the bottom was correct and so were the BMW and Freudenberg OEM manufacturer logos and so also was the label on the packaging. The Freudenberg logo also appears on a set of e34 mounts I inspected along the way. These were the correct OEM mounts no question about it.

So here's the deal.

I put out a call on my local chat group to ask if I could have a look at a bone stock m42 e30 to inspect their motor mounts. I had an offer from a member who said he had just installed brand new mounts which he had bought from a dealership and that they had bolted right up no problem.

I called up my local dealership and ordered a set of motor mounts. They arrived the next day and when I went to collect them they looked *exactly* like the mounts I had ordered earlier. Top pin was offset to the outboard. I didn't take then home and I didn't take a picture - they remained bagged at the dealership.

So then I asked the guy who had just successfully installed the mounts if he had his old ones I could inspect and he said no - they had been discarded.

I asked if I could crawl underneath his car to see first hand wtf was going on he said sure - c'mon over.

When I arrived the car was already jacked up and on four jackstands because he was adjusting his trans mounts. He had installed poly mounts and the car was buzzing hard. (unrelated - but lesson that trans mounts are the ones that transmit most of the NVH - motor mounts less so).

So i crawl underneath to look at the passenger side which is most clearly visible and I see this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200421_164034.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.1 KB ID:	9919697

The top of his mount was skewed hard over and the bottom of the mount was not seated on the perch. His OEM mounts were dead wrong also but this was not visible from up top so he thought they were right.

So *then* I ask my original parts guy to bring in as many mounts as he could from his source. He brought in four mounts - two were OEM but two were aftermarket made by MTC. The OEM mounts both had their top pins offset outboard - so still wrong - but on the MTC mounts the top pins were offset inboard.

I bought the MTC mounts and this is one of them in profile:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-20200421-WA0017.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	9919698

See the top pins is offset inboard.

I installed them and of course the bolted right up without issue.

This is the passenger side installed, no skewing at the top and seated perfectly on the perch. Drivers side is also seated perfectly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200421_181954.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.1 KB ID:	9919700

So long story short is that BMW has a major issue with e42 motor mounts made by Freudenberg. I would have preferred to use OEM instead of an aftermarket - but BMW has let me down big time.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bmwman91
    replied
    Weird, I could see one of them being manufactured incorrectly, but both being that way seems unlikely. Is the part number that is stamped into them correct?

Anyway, good call on trying to get the correct pats and not "making them fit." Those things would not have lasted long if they were all stretched like that.

Leave a comment:

• jwetering
    replied
    Originally posted by Andre3127 View Post
    Grind the locating nub off and rotate them 180 degrees to fit.
    Tried that.

In fact I could rotate my e36 mounts 180 degrees and the nub sat off the subframe perch even without grinding. OK- the top pins were still too wide for my arms. Sure I might have been able to stretch the mounts to fit but I'm no going for a bodge.

This simply did not work for me... unless you've actually seen it work yourself I'm going to have to say it's a myth.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X