Identification of gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identification of gearbox

Can anyone out there help me identify my gearbox? I cant find anything helpful with the codes.
    Attached Files

It's a Getrag 220. Look at the first three digits of the second photo.

Comment

OK according to googel a gearbox mounted from 316 to 325 in E36 and E46 ? Am i correct? Probably not suited to my M54B30 then?!

Comment

Originally posted by julianholzner View Post
        OK according to googel a gearbox mounted from 316 to 325 in E36 and E46 ? Am I correct? Probably not suited to my M54B30 then?!
        People tend to put a lot of power through the getrag transmissions and they do well. How easy is it for you to get a different trans? If its hard or puts you over budget, make it work. Then buy one when you can.

Comment

Hi, I would say that its quiet easy to get a different trans, but the question would be what more than jsut the tranny would i have to change? I know from shifter linkage for example. But i dont know about flywheel clutch pilot bearing etc... If all of those would be necessary to change then its something i currently cant afford

Comment

For the M54, you can use almost any transmission from the E30 through the E60 and beyond, IF the starter mounts correctly.

The 220 is the lightest one out there, usually fitted to the 318 and early 325- but in a lighter car like the E30, it will likely hold up fine.
            220 meaning it's good for 220 Nm of torque. The 32o was good for 320, the 350.... well, you get the idea.

As to clutch parts, there are 2 input shaft splines: up through 9-2002 everything's the same, with 10 splines, and
            after that it goes to 22(?) splines. It's easy to check- just count the input shaft. If you get past 10, you need a friction
            disc from the post- 2002 E46.
            There are also several different pressure plate sizes, but most will fit the same flywheel. It's worth measuring what
            you have, and making sure this is true.
            The important part is to make sure everything works together- and the easy way to do this is to just keep
            all the clutch parts together. If buying new, I get 240mm parts for the extra area.

final rant- the casting numbers don't tell you what transmission you have. It's frustrating, but true.
            All the 220 means on the tail housing is that that casting was originally cast for a 220 transmission.
            If it happens to fit the 320, then it will be on the 320, with its 220 casting number still there.
            It may be MACHINED differently, and thus not interchangeable.
            So when doing the 'what transmission' question, it's a good idea to put up as many
            pictures as you can, because in the absence of the sticker on the side, the only
            way to be sure is to do arcane things like counting ribs, comparing bracing, etc.

hth,
            t

now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
            X