Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience w RacingDiffs LSD clutch upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experience w RacingDiffs LSD clutch upgrade?

Howdy all. I did some searching around, and I found all kinds of DIYs, but haven't found much about actual user experience or reviews with this kit. Does anyone have any actual real world experience with these clutch discs after installing them?

I am referring to this: https://racingdiffs.com/products/bmw...33470318641287

Thanks.

I bought a kit from Thayer Motorsports, but they're closed now.

I've also heard about people using Porsche parts as upgrades for the dog ears and clutches. The stock equipment is more than sufficient for a lot of power and abuse. If you want additional lock-up, you can throw out 1 spacer to convert to 3-clutch, you can machine one spacer to convert to 4-clutch.

Porsche PN:
    0 951-332-551-00
    0 917-332-552-11

sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

i also used a thayer standard rebuild kit. you probably won't need much more.

the racing diffs kit itself looks ok but would be nice if it had new top cap bolts. they are not actually tty but they get a torque and came in the thayer kit. i also changed the crown for a gear change and used all new bolts for that.

Comment

I bought the racing diffs 4-clutch setup and carrier cap for my 2.93 build.
        Cap seems nice enough just because it doesn't have the big hollow valley in the casting between bolt flange and bearing like the stock cap does.

pazi88 has the same setup, and had to machine the clutch surface a bit because clearances were off when they assembled.
        I bought my setup Oct 2019 and mine was in spec when I assembled.
        Not sure if it's an issue they fixed or luck of the draw.
        The clutches needed a touch with a file in some spots. They look like they're waterjet from a sheet of clutch material, and I think there was almost a small burr where the jet entered/left the part.

I probably would've have bought the cap, but I had an Open 2.93 a LSD pumpkin that was lacking a cap.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
          I bought a kit from Thayer Motorsports, but they're closed now.

I've also heard about people using Porsche parts as upgrades for the dog ears and clutches. The stock equipment is more than sufficient for a lot of power and abuse. If you want additional lock-up, you can throw out 1 spacer to convert to 3-clutch, you can machine one spacer to convert to 4-clutch.

Porsche PN:
          0 951-332-551-00
          0 917-332-552-11
          I saw some references to this, but never found a DIY or definitive info on this.

Regarding the stock equipment being sufficient: My LSD is quite weak and I am assuming it needs new clutches, and I am considering going with more lockup while I am at it. I am at around 400 bhp now, and plan to go to 500 after i turn up the boost a little. Running fairly sticky 245 width tires in the back, so I am thinking I could use more diff lockup.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            I bought the racing diffs 4-clutch setup and carrier cap for my 2.93 build.
            Cap seems nice enough just because it doesn't have the big hollow valley in the casting between bolt flange and bearing like the stock cap does.

pazi88 has the same setup, and had to machine the clutch surface a bit because clearances were off when they assembled.
            I bought my setup Oct 2019 and mine was in spec when I assembled.
            Not sure if it's an issue they fixed or luck of the draw.
            The clutches needed a touch with a file in some spots. They look like they're waterjet from a sheet of clutch material, and I think there was almost a small burr where the jet entered/left the part.

I probably would've have bought the cap, but I had an Open 2.93 a LSD pumpkin that was lacking a cap.

I did hear the clutches need a file to cut down the burrs a little.

Well, does the 4 clutch setup work? Does it lock strongly? Worth the upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by iamsam View Post

I did hear the clutches need a file to cut down the burrs a little.

Well, does the 4 clutch setup work? Does it lock strongly? Worth the upgrade?
              I built the 4-clutch 2.93 to replace a 4-clutch 3.73 that was entirely the wrong ratio for the ZF I have.

I only had about a week of driving on it so far, but it feels like the old one did, just with a much more reasonable ratio (and the pinion bearing that I took a chance on is 100% bad)
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

I have used multiple kits from Racing Diffs, 168mm, 188mm, and 210mm, ramps, etc. They're good products.
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                  I have used multiple kits from Racing Diffs, 168mm, 188mm, and 210mm, ramps, etc. They're good products.
                  Good to hear.

Comment

Working...
                  X