No announcement yet.

No more r3vtard assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the square bits of debrief are cube in nature that is almost certainly all/some of the teach of the clutches, and you don't liken't have one/both of them.

I don't know wtf that big piece of metal is. You'll certainly have to wait for the master on that one :)

Does the diff spin smoothly and without grinding sounds?
    -------------------------------------------------
    1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
    2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

rust?

looks like it sat with a cover or drain plug open and rusted/collected dust.

I think you should ask for your money back.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

deleted
        Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 04:55 PM.
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

"Differential Grand Master Suggests Lump Of Metal is Petrified Slug"

More at 11.
          -------------------------------------------------
          1989 - E30 - M20B25 - Manual. Approx 300,000+ miles - Track Rat & Weekend Fun
          2000 - E46 - M52TUB28 - Manual. Approx 130,000 miles - [not so] Daily Driver

sigpic

I'm looking for a Lachssilber Passenger Fender and Hood. PM if you have one or both to sell!

Comment

I'll have to grab a picture of it cleaned off, but it's not metal, rather some type of composite/plastic. It looks like at one time it was an O-ring of some sort, I dunno. The orange piece that was clinging onto the outside of the case wall was the same material.

I received the case without the speed sensor, but the back cover were attached. Interesting that the rear cover had been painted, the bolts had been ground smooth and most were tight. 1 was pretty loose though. Not sure if the PO just stuck it back together or if it was just a shitty attempt at a refresh.

Here is my feedback for the transaction... I highly doubt that I'll get any money back from him. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=283937

I put the cover back on, and I'm going to build a mount to bolt one flange onto my work bench tonight in welding class to test the tension of the clutches. If the clutches are good, I'll just leave it. The 3.73lsd in the car right now doesn't have any life in it I believe. I had the handbrake on and started the car in gear with the rear wheels in the air... left wheel stayed still and right wheel spun.

My biggest quandry at the moment is if I want to replace the MZ3 rubber bushing on the brand new finned diff cover with a derlin one or not. This winter I plan to rebuild my subframe with condor's 12mm riser kit while I'm in there. removing the cover then to replace the bushing sound like a lot of work for a lazy person like me! Decisions, decisions...
            My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

deleted

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Not sure why the hate dude. I got hosed on a purchase by another r3v member that was supposed to be a 60,000 mile good diff, no need to be aggressive.

I may not be wheel-to-wheel racing yet, but I'm not slapping the finned diff cover on my E30 because it's cute. I don't have any recent vids me driving my E30 (that's another story), but here are two vids of me putting around in other cars.

Anyways, I checked the breakaway torque, and it's right at 41ft/lbs. That is within spec for the searching I did on the spec E30 site. When I take apart my current subframe with the 3.73lsd installed, I'll be sure to check the torque on that one, but I'm guessing it's pretty worn.
                My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

No hate; no need to post videos of anything.

Just trying to put a realistic prospective on the big picture; the power unit is as stressed as the engine delivers and the body can handle. Spending time/expense on it is smarter than buying treats for the car you don't need

It's either the right way or...
                  The r3v way; if you have the time to do it the r3v way (acquire and fit a junkyard unit every 3 years) then I suppose it's a way to do things
                  Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-30-2013, 06:59 AM.

Comment

At what ratio is the carrier break in the 210mm diffs?

Specifically, will a 2.93 LSD unit work with a 2.65 gearset?

Comment

deleted

Comment

I thought only the E38 740d had the 2.65...
                        I want a 2.65 for a M73 E34 w/ Getrag 265, and was planning to find a 2.93 or 2.81 LSD and swap gears. I was trying to make sure that would work.

Comment

deleted
                          Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                            USA e31 850 v12 model with 6 speed manual had a 2.65 and LSD option avail in 210mm; I've seen one out of a car stateside before here in California. - 2.65 LSD does exist and the e31 case is same as e32 210mm; the 8 series guys fit 3,15 or 3.64 lsd units from e32 v12's pretty often.

in europe the 188mm has a 2.65 in e30 324D, 188k has a 2.35 avail in e46 320D!!
                            Cool. I had checked out 850 gears before and thought they were 3.64, but I see now that's for the automatic trans, and the sticks got 2.65 as you said...
                            And if it's the same case as the E32, then it would bolt right into an E34 also.
                            Sweeet. Thanks!

I know the 188's have ratios down to 2.35. I was looking for ratios in the 2.35/2.47/2.56 range when I was first figuring out my S62 AWD swap with the ZF 5 speed, but I couldn't get those ratios in an E53 front diff for a reasonable cost, so I went a different direction.

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                            perhaps cross reference the spool between that car and a e32 v12 3.15 or e31 v12 with a ratio 2.93 and higher?
                            I'd love to, but RealOEM doesn't show the parts breakdown for the diff guts for the E31's (and definitely not for the E38's).

Are E31's all LSD? I don't see any mention of LSD or not on RealOEM.

It's really cool that the same carrier works with such a wide range of ratios, but that's a LOT of extra steel for BMW to be leaving in the higher ratio ring gears in order to get that parts commonality. I guess the extra steel in the high ratios was worth the cost of having different carriers for the low ratios... or they just decided to eat the cost due to the low production numbers of the low ratios.

Comment

On a different note, I'm putting together an E34 auto to manual swap kit from my wrecked 535i. It uses the 6 bolt diff flange. From the "where used" function on RealOEM, it looks like pretty much all E34's used the 6 bolt flange. Is that correct?

I couldn't actually see where the 6 bolt flange was used... It's not listed separately. I could only see where the 6 bolt CV joint is used.

Comment

deleted
                                Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X