E30 Straight cut gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Straight cut gears?

i know i haven't been to up with the r3vs. But ill try this time around. For the last two days ive been helping a friend with a 5 speed swap. ive been thinkin. is there any way possible to stick either dog leg, straight cut gears or even a sequential gear box into my E30? ive been kinda searchin around. and i know the m3 race/rally cars have them, but is it possible to do to a stock Getrag for under 5k?
    sigpicDiRTYE30-RALLYE30

yes, but why not just get a modern 6 speed gearbox. you can shift it clutch less if you are really good (you can clutchless shift a G260 if you have the timing right).
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

under 5k? HAHAHAHA

but seriously, i doubt it. I don't know why you'd want just straight cut gears unless you're destroying transmissions... if we're talking a full dog box, then it would make sense. And I like the regular H pattern just fine, I wouldn't buy into the dog-leg thing. You might give PPG a call and see what they would be able to do, but the boxes for the WRX/STi aren't cheap. They have a helical 5th, which I think is pretty dope.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVDwVsNASwA here's an e30 with a dog leg box, so it is possible, but I don't know the specs of it. I believe the car still has an M20, though.
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Wanganstyle, i think it would be cool to have a sequential gear box for like a rally car or a track day car. Idk i was just thinkin and if a had the money Jaxx i would seriously think about doing it. It was just a thought, and tryin to get some input on what would work or not
        sigpicDiRTYE30-RALLYE30

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlik View Post
          Wanganstyle, i think it would be cool to have a sequential gear box for like a rally car or a track day car. Idk i was just thinkin and if a had the money Jaxx i would seriously think about doing it. It was just a thought, and tryin to get some input on what would work or not
          Well, sequential and straight cut gears are not in any way the same thing.

Straight cut gears can be done if you want lots of gear whine.

A sequential would be hard to do for less than the cost of a nice E46 M3. (And aftermarket sequential boxes are made for race cars and have service lives measured in hours.)
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

WHY? other than trolling. The gearboxes that are out there are just fine. Why try to improve something that is just not really worth the effort or hassle.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

i know sequential and straight cut gears are different, so what what you guys are saying is save my money buy an e46 and put a sequential into it? well ill hit you guys up in 6 years haha. but i guess its not even worth the hassle of putting them into an e30.
              sigpicDiRTYE30-RALLYE30

Comment

this is one of those things - if you have to ask, the answer is no, you can't do it.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

^

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                  i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                  Originally posted by slammin.e28
                  Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Comment

so all i need is a ton of money and an s14. any one got an m3 for sale? haha
                      Last edited by TheBlik; 03-16-2012, 07:06 PM. Reason: wrong wording
                      sigpicDiRTYE30-RALLYE30

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVDwVsNASwA here's an e30 with a dog leg box, so it is possible, but I don't know the specs of it. I believe the car still has an M20, though.
                        That video was amazing!
                        sigpic

A man chooses, a slave obeys... Would you kindly?

Comment

Unless you're outdriving a normal gearbox I would stay away from dog boxes (which are different from dogleg) or sequential. Everything is possible but costs tons of money.

Comment

call PPG. the scooby guys get dog boxes w straight gears for about 5k including a front and center diff, a bmw box has 0 diffs inside and its probably feasible if there are similar gears sized to fit the BMW case.

I'm guessing with the sheer amount of transmissions that ZF produces some aftermarket gear company like PPG will have a setup to fit a Zf Sg320 for racing use. A Zfsg320 will fit anything pretty much even a M20 pnp.
                            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

i know i haven't been to up with the r3vs. But ill try this time around. For the last two days ive been helping a friend with a 5 speed swap. ive been thinkin. is there any way possible to stick either dog leg, straight cut gears or even a sequential gear box into my E30? ive been kinda searchin around. and i know the m3 race/rally cars have them, but is it possible to do to a stock Getrag for under 5k?
                              Hit up this guy, it appears he has something to do with them or just buy his car :)

Getrag 260 (straight cut gears)
                              straight cut gears in transmission built by my shop. A little noisy but very smooth

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=242199
                              My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                              4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

Working...
                              X