Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you slide the shifter carrier OUT without damaging the bushing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you slide the shifter carrier OUT without damaging the bushing?

I know the carrier slides into the rear mount but can you slide it OUT without damaging the bushing? thanks.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

I've never damaged one taking it apart...

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

It's basically brand new and I worry about tearing it. I know I can remove the entire mount but I'm trying not to since it's tight with the exhaust/driveshaft/heatshielding.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

I slid mine in and out a couple of times when swapping from the "es" set up. Is it a really tight fight?

Comment

I've removed them without ripping the bushing, but weirder thing have happened. For what it's worth I'd say you're fine.

What I'm interested in is who will be the first one to make a poly bushing that presses/pushes in to the bracket once you remove the old one.
          For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
          Originally posted by mbonanni
          I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
            I've removed them without ripping the bushing, but weirder thing have happened. For what it's worth I'd say you're fine.

What I'm interested in is who will be the first one to make a poly bushing that presses/pushes in to the bracket once you remove the old one.

I think I have as well but those were old original bushings and honestly don't remember if they tore or not. It is curious why no one has come out with a better rear mount. Thanks for the input guys. I will finish the job once I get my DSSR machined to fit over the z3 1.9 shift lever.

Comment

mine basically slid out, why not put some grease on the end that you're gonna pull through to reduce the friction?
              sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I was thinking soapy water.

Comment

Working...
                X