Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shift Carrier Rear Bushing: Why you want it soft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift Carrier Rear Bushing: Why you want it soft.

I had the the drivetrain sitting on a dolly, so it was a good opportunity to make this video:

(For those who would prefer to click through/don't have flash installed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0x296RcDMk )

As you can see here, the only thing that a stiff rear bushing is doing is creating an opportunity to break something. It does nothing/next to nothing for shift precision. So stay away from them, unless you really want to create situations where your whole drivetrain is pivoting on the carrier mount.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
    I had the the drivetrain sitting on a dolly, so it was a good opportunity to make this video:

(For those who would prefer to click through/don't have flash installed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0x296RcDMk )

As you can see here, the only thing that a stiff rear bushing is doing is creating an opportunity to break something. It does nothing/next to nothing for shift precision. So stay away from them, unless you really want to create situations where your whole drivetrain is pivoting on the carrier mount.
    Fixed your vid :p

Do you have any reason to say that it will cause an issue? I've never heard of anyone with issues with solid front and rear bushings.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

/\ I'd have to agree, I can't think of why firmer mounts would be more prone cause problems. It looks like your front carrier bushing is stiff enough in this video to not allow it to move around. But why would you not want two good point of contact for mounting the carrier? Without a stiff rear bushing, you will wear the front bushing quicker. Then you will have issues.

I got under my car recently to investigate sloppy linkage and found that the rear carrier bushing was all but useless. This, coupled with a worn out stock front carrier bushing, allows the carrier to move side to side, along with the shift lever. I'm going to replace them with dilrin bushings, as well as all of the other stock bushings.
      '91 318is - #ProjectGilbert
      '86 325 - may she rest in pieces

Comment

If the engine is mounted solidly, you can solid mount the shifter at both ends.

If the engine has rubber mounts, or softer urethane,
        and the shifter bushings are all solid, then
        the shift carrier can become the load path
        to the body for motor/trans movement.

The rear bushing should be 'firm', but a bit of movement there isn't going
        to detract much from feel, especially if the shift carrier's solidly attached
        to the trans. It's really just holding up the back end of the carrier.

It's the only non- delrin/stiff urethane mount on the Pro3 car
        for exactly that reason- it doesn't matter much if it's not absolutely stiff,
        but if it binds solid, it will break the rather lightweight rear mount off the
        body, and that WILL suck...

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by groupus View Post
          /\ I'd have to agree, I can't think of why firmer mounts would be more prone cause problems. It looks like your front carrier bushing is stiff enough in this video to not allow it to move around. But why would you not want two good point of contact for mounting the carrier? Without a stiff rear bushing, you will wear the front bushing quicker. Then you will have issues.

I got under my car recently to investigate sloppy linkage and found that the rear carrier bushing was all but useless. This, coupled with a worn out stock front carrier bushing, allows the carrier to move side to side, along with the shift lever. I'm going to replace them with dilrin bushings, as well as all of the other stock bushings.
          You want the stock rear bushing because a super stiff rear bushing ties the engine and the transmission to the chassis through a dinky aluminum carrier and small tabs on the transmission.

It's not about shift feel. And Toby is completely correct - if the engine and trans are solidly mounted, go for it.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Working...