2nd gear downshift lockout/grind only at high RPM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd gear downshift lockout/grind only at high RPM's

2nd goes in perfect when up shifting or when downshifting and lower RPM's. Under 4k it will go in just fine but anything over than it grinds pretty loud so and it seems to lock me out of that gear. i never force it when it grinds so im not sure if it actually locks me out. What could this be?
    E30 is life :finger:

Same problem over here...had it happen on both transmissions I have owned so I chalked it up as driver error
    but sub'd for the real answer

Comment

Sounds like worn synchros

Comment

...or a failing pressure plate...

Does it do it if you match revs first?

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t
          this.

my pressure plate is fucked right now so im forced to rev match going down.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

you should rev match going down anyways, the synchros are worn out and its hard for them to make up the difference

Comment

Why are you down shifting above 4k rpms? Try slowing down a bit first.

Comment

my synchros are very worn as well. had to rush my 5-speed swap and used a high-mileage G260. so with the worn synchros and less than perfect pressure plate i was already accustomed to rev matching. Now it's so bad that sometimes i'll have to pad the throttle a bit going up a gear if the revs aren't in the right spot.

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t

Yes I always rev match
                  E30 is life :finger:

Comment

Originally posted by MPLFoster View Post
                    my synchros are very worn as well. had to rush my 5-speed swap and used a high-mileage G260. so with the worn synchros and less than perfect pressure plate i was already accustomed to rev matching. Now it's so bad that sometimes i'll have to pad the throttle a bit going up a gear if the revs aren't in the right spot.
                    Ugh, sounds like work son...
                    ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Working...
                    X