Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leaking Automatic Input Seal - Which to replace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking Automatic Input Seal - Which to replace?

I've removed the automatic transmission in my 1986 325e to replace a leaking input shaft seal. I have the #6 and #7 seals.

Should I bother taking everything apart to get to #7? Seems like a gamble.

1987 325e Commuter Project Blog

1967 1600 Project Blog: www.TX02.blogspot.com

Right now I'd find some swap parts, and leave that boat anchor on the ground! never been a fan of e30 auto transmissions even when they were new,
    88 M3 Lachsliber glass top, 90 IS project,

Comment

I second that!
      Estoguy
      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

...but if you really have to save that autobox, I guess I'd change the big o- ring, too.

Just because the darned things are so heavy- like you, I'd bet that it's the seal, #6...

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

How is #5 held on? If it's simple, I'd replace it, but if the fasteners are on the backside and a pain to get to, I'd consider not bothering. More than likely it's #6 that is leaking.

Comment

I think you have to pull the bellhousing off to get cover #5 off- it's been a long time, but
            I took one apart for fun once, and remembered thinking it was odd.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I just pulled the one out of my 90, I picked it up and threw it in the back of my truck, I'd just replace 6, get it back in there,

Comment

Just did #6. No more leaks!

The big o-ring looked like it would require some serious worked, so I opted out.
                1987 325e Commuter Project Blog

1967 1600 Project Blog: www.TX02.blogspot.com

Comment

good for you, going back to FL on Friday going to try to take mine to the scrapper, along with some other metal,

Comment

Working...
                  X