Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential Swap Help - E30 Beginner

Greeting,

After 8 months of searching, I finally entered the E30 cult with a 1984 325E purchase. My E30 has a M50 swap and 5-speed.

The car runs fantastic, but I am interested in a differential swap. Currently it has a 2.79 gear ratio in a medium case.

I would like to swap to a much higher gear ratio. I use it as a daily driver and don't often go over 60 MPH (never go over 85 MPH) but enjoy the acxelation getting there.

I've been shopping around for a new differential and am overwhelmed at the options and my general lack of knowledge. I would hate to spend $700 on the swap and have it be less than ideal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My current questions revolve around limited slip or open, can any e30 differential fit, transition between medium and small case.

Thanks much for your time and consideration.

limited slip from an e28 535is or 535i with the LSD option. its a 3.25 ratio. just drop out your old diff and remove the rear cover, bolt the rear cover up to the new e28 diff. Then use a large screwdriver and pop out the output flanges and swap those to the enw diff too and install. Use redline LSD rated fluid and have fun.

Comment

If you are going through the trouble of sourcing and installing a diff make sure you get a lsd. Any e30 diff will fit but stay away from small case since you have an m50. As for a ratio that seems to be a matter of personal preference depending on driving style and economy . I'm sure someone with an m50 or similar swap will have a suggestion for you.
      sigpic
      1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

oops missed the m50 swap part. A 3.73 LSD from a 325is e30 should fit the bill then and turn ncie revs on the highway.

Comment

Thanks all. Based on your input it won't matter in the swap if the case is small or medium (medium preferred)?

Comment

Does it matter if the differential is pulled from an automatic or manual?

Comment

a small case on an m50 swap is a bad diea. they only put small cases in 4 cylinder cars for a reason (with the exception of the e30 m3)

no auto or manual doesnt matter. auto i is a medium case 4.10, manual 325i is a medium case 3.73

Comment

Thanks again. I think I am ready to pull the trigger on a purchase. When making the swap, is there anything else that is a must to replaceshould when it is torn apart? Differential mount? Output gaskets?

Comment

I would go a head and do the Diff bushing and Diff cover gasket at minimum.
                  My Garage
                  2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                  1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                  1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                  Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I'd go for the 188mm 3.73 LSD out of the 325is.
                    Change the bushing(do NOT buy the $20 bushings), cover gasket - I'd recommend the dog-ears and clutch disks too (I got mine from thayer), and if you're in there you can change the axle seals.

I would also recommend to check the diff for play before you buy it (grab the yoke and turn it to each side. A noticeable clunk is a bad sigh). A lot of them are beat up. I bought a "new" used one because my old one's bearings were getting loud, only to find out the new one had the same problem =)

Comment

Any opinions on diff cover swap? I have S50 with 3.73 LSD.
                      shop is suggesting cover swap, explain... more fins basically?
                      Also this looks interesting also LINK

S50 is powerful but not sure I need?
                      Will be changing out the poly with Garagistic as well, the kit.
                      1987 BMW 325is,(M3 S50 Swapped)-Current
                      2010 FJ Cruiser, aka E30 Support Vehicle-(Daily)
                      2008 Scion xB Lowered
                      2001 BMW 325i
                      1995 BMW 318ti
                      1966 Ford Mustang Coupe
                      1965 Ford Mustang Coupe

My Thread

Comment

I don't think the fins are necessary. IMO the shop is probably just trying to get more money out of you. Theres people on here running a lot more than S50 numbers and are just fine. The second ear is cool, but I don't know why garagistic machined a second ear tab when you can just use a e36 cover.
                        My Garage
                        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I'd change the output flange gaskets and O rings. Quick and easy w the diff out
                          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                          Alice the Time Capsule
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

The fancy diff cover would help getting rid of excess heat, but I don't think you track the car for extended periods of time for that to be a problem. The medium case can handle three M50's on stock internals, so you should be good =)

Comment

Working...
                            X