Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripped Bolt, ZF trans clutch/flywheel

Hello R3v

Im currently trying to remove my clutch/flywheel on my m52b28 so I can mount it on my engine stand and swap the oil pan and sump. I recently removed my 5 spd zf trans from the m52 and when I was trying to remove the bolts around the clutch plate, the final one stripped on me (pissed). I’ve sprayed PB Blaster and many similar sprays but nothing seems to be helping break this bolt loose. I’ve locked onto it with channel locks and everything to try and break it but it just continues to eat at the bolt head.

Please any any recommendations on how to get this f**ker off will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like yayrea.

So, smashing in a torx driver is where I'd start, then I'd move on to locking pliers plus a hammer, then the same with heat applied and possibly rapid cooling, and finally I'd buy a bolt extractor as those do actually work, at least on hex bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      So, smashing in a torx driver is where I'd start, then I'd move on to locking pliers plus a hammer, then the same with heat applied and possibly rapid cooling, and finally I'd buy a bolt extractor as those do actually work, at least on hex bolts.
      Went with option 1 of hammering a torx socket in there. 1/2" breaker bar broke it loose with no issues. Had the torch on standby though lol. Thanks for the input! Now on to more fun

Comment

IIRC that's an allen head, right? IF so, just get a drill ~7mm in diameter. It will center itself as you drill. Once you get into the actual threaded part of the bolt, you can take a chisel and hammer the head off.

Most times, in your case, when you remove the clutch plate, you'll be able to remove the rest of the bolt by hand.
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          IIRC that's an allen head, right? IF so, just get a drill ~7mm in diameter. It will center itself as you drill. Once you get into the actual threaded part of the bolt, you can take a chisel and hammer the head off.

Most times, in your case, when you remove the clutch plate, you'll be able to remove the rest of the bolt by hand.
          Yes sir, allen head. Ill keep that in mind as i continue to disassemble this engine. Thank You

Comment

I recently got one out by using a rotary tool (Dremel with a cutting disc) and cutting the bolt head in half, then using a punch to spin the bolt. Bastard of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Yayrea View Post

Went with option 1 of hammering a torx socket in there. 1/2" breaker bar broke it loose with no issues. Had the torch on standby though lol. Thanks for the input! Now on to more fun
              Woo.

Comment

I'd probably re-install the other bolts to take off the tension then try the vice grips again before cutting a slot to use a big flat head screwdriver before drilling.

Comment

Working...
                X