Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U-joint dust protection o-rings replacement possible ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-joint dust protection o-rings replacement possible ?

Hi guys,

Stumbled upon these issues and was curious if there is a way to replace the dust protection plastic rings on driveshaft u-joints ?
    Not looking for u-joint replacement, nor driveshaft rebuilding, just interested in some way or either replacing those rings/orings or some other method of replacing their functionality.

Thanks !

Not unless you have removable joints. The stock joints are staked in, therefore non-serviceable.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Yeah, I know that, but the orings are accesible and somehow *might* be replaceable if someone would have found a method for locking them out of 2 separate halfmoon ones or replacing them with lock-type style ones or...... or.....
      Last edited by Xelo; 02-20-2020, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Comment

They make cut to length oring kits that include adhesive, so you could maybe glue it in-situ.
          Probably hard to get the oring on there without getting grease all over the face you're trying to glue though.
          I'd probably just smear some RTV on it and call it a day.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

If an o ring has had it perhaps it's best to replace the u joint? You can do it if you're handy, otherwise there are plenty of shops out there.

Comment

It's not an o- ring, it's a formed seal.

And by the time they go, the bearings are usually contaminated and worn, too.

Sorry!

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
              X