No announcement yet.

V8 swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea it's heat shield for the exhaust pipe. Not the most beautiful ones but they work fine.

Or did you mean the exhaust manifolds?

From this

to this

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
    Do you know if its possible to space the transmission up so that the angle of the drivetrain without a subframe spacer isn't so great? This sounds like a good route for me, as I need all the space I can get.
    Maybe with 5-speed transmission you could get it a bit higher, but at least with 6-speed you'd need to raise the gearbox tunnel. Otherwise it'll hit it (i've about 5mm clearance between gearbox and the tunnel).

And from one m30 owner to another, what do you think of the V8? I'm never quite satisfied driving my m30 car; It's quick, but never really fast. Hell, I got beat by a Hemi Jeep Cherokee once lol.

Are you satisfied with the m60?
    Yes i am. It has the great torque down low as did M30, but also it has the high rpm grunt which M30 didn't have. So it's quite a bit like S38 - torquey straight from idle and good power on higher rpm.

I like it, but still i'm always thinking of S62 as an option...
    - E34 M5 (x 2) -
    - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
    - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
    - E46 318i Touring -
    - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Sweet, I think I'm doing it. Found a crunched e38 740il for $200 a town up from me.

Mind if I pm you with questions along the way? I get the main gist of things from the e30.de writeup, but there's some things that get lost in translation.
      Byron
      Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post

More pics of the hog in the top right corner?
        Originally posted by LJ851
        I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Sry, no pics of the minimoto.

Sweet, I think I'm doing it. Found a crunched e38 740il for $200 a town up from me.

Mind if I pm you with questions along the way? I get the main gist of things from the e30.de writeup, but there's some things that get lost in translation.
          200$ ? Damn that's cheap!

Yea sure, but maybe it'd be better to post the questions here so the information would be available to everyone?

There're couple of good threads about M6x swaps on www.e30zone.net also, they're worth checking ;)
          - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
          - E46 318i Touring -
          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Yeah I started posting on the zone a few days ago. I might even start a thread over here; not many people have done it in America.
            Byron
            Leichtbau

Comment

So sorry for asking questions I probably should just be better scouring the internet for but I am asking anyways because I want a simple answer...

My donor motor (if I so choose to go crazy and do a swap of this magnitude) would be out of a 1995 (late 94 build date) 740. I saw your lovely exhaust manifolds, but why can't I just use the ones that came with the motor? Are they too wide to sit between the frame rails? I know they didn't want to come up through the 740 frame rails when I pulled the motor, but they sat beneath the frame rails in the 740, so it really didn't matter that they were to wide until I went to pull the motor. Or are you running those manifolds because otherwise you would have to fight with the subframe and the swaybar?

Any insight? I don't weld all that well, and will have some help, but I really don't want to have to make my own exhaust manifolds.
              sigpic
              e30 Sold long ago - Too many BMWs since then... For now 2006 M5

Comment

Originally posted by HellzMindPlaya View Post
                So sorry for asking questions I probably should just be better scouring the internet for but I am asking anyways because I want a simple answer...

My donor motor (if I so choose to go crazy and do a swap of this magnitude) would be out of a 1995 (late 94 build date) 740. I saw your lovely exhaust manifolds, but why can't I just use the ones that came with the motor? Are they too wide to sit between the frame rails? I know they didn't want to come up through the 740 frame rails when I pulled the motor, but they sat beneath the frame rails in the 740, so it really didn't matter that they were to wide until I went to pull the motor. Or are you running those manifolds because otherwise you would have to fight with the subframe and the swaybar?

Any insight? I don't weld all that well, and will have some help, but I really don't want to have to make my own exhaust manifolds.

They won't fit without modifications (they interfere with at least steering shaft and supporting arms, probably also with side frames and stabilizer) and because they're "double layer", welding them properly is harder than normal welding..

Here's one funny pic :) http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/atta...1&d=1218515711
                - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                - E46 318i Touring -
                - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Originally posted by coolasacuc View Post
                  dont be gay.

keep the 5.0s and ls1 in the cars they came in.
                  + 1 So true, keep order at least where it matters, but too each its own.

Simplicity is your best option!

Comment

Working...
                  X