Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know if its the s52 or s54 z3m radiator that fits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jonsku... well, the verdict is in on the Mishimoto radiator... It is a 3 row radiator. Corey has been alerted and I'm sure he will be speaking to Mishimoto again. I told him the salesrep needs to go out onto the assembly line and watch how they manufacture it, because it's definitely a 3 row core. You can clearly see the 3 individual rows if you look through the fins with a flashlight. So, with that being said, here are some pics...

Dimensionally, it is the same width and height as the E36 M3 radiator I have been using for mockup. The core is obviously far thicker, as evidenced in the 3rd pic. It drops into the E30 with no mods, except for the plastic upper mount, which needs a slit cut into it to clear the thicker core.

So that's it... IMO, this is a great option... the price is reasonable, the fit is perfect and the extra capacity is what we need for the M6x swaps...

That is all...

Garey
    Last edited by bmwmech1; 01-27-2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

That thing's a monster! I'm starting to consider picking one up as well.

What are you going to do about the rad hose? Looks like it's kinked a little, and you can't easily shorten it due to the flared ends.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Holy fucking beefcake batman

Comment

Very nice! Now if we can get a side by side photo of the mishimoto vs s54 z3m rad.

Look at all the room VS inline 6 ....NOM NOM NOM
          Last edited by Jean; 01-27-2012, 01:02 PM.
          Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            That thing's a monster! I'm starting to consider picking one up as well.

What are you going to do about the rad hose? Looks like it's kinked a little, and you can't easily shorten it due to the flared ends.
            Actually, those are unmodified, E36 M3 radiator hoses that I, ahem, forced onto the M60 water pump nipples. If you know those hoses, you know they do not have a molded flare at the WP nipples, they're straight. I will cut the top one down about 3/4"at the pump nipple and the little kink should disappear... no problema. I will say that this radiator looks pretty badass in person. As thick as it looks in the pictures, it looks twice as beefy up close. I am not disappointed with this thing, in the least.

Now, for all of you that decide to go this route, hit up Corey at Track One. I think I ordered this thing from him on Tuesday night and I had it in my hands today! Not that everyone's shipping will be that quick, but I was impressed. The price is well worth it, IMO... I mean, look at this thing, lol.

Thanks again to Corey...

Garey

Comment

Quick update... here is the only modification necessary to install this radiator...

2 small slits cut into the inverted round part of the plastic mount for the edge of the core to slide into... that's it...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                Actually, those are unmodified, E36 M3 radiator hoses that I, ahem, forced onto the M60 water pump nipples.

Garey
                Holy crap, that's a hell of a stretch.

I think I'm going to try to find room to run the remote oil filter just so I can use this radiator.

Thanks for the writeup and pics.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                  Holy crap, that's a hell of a stretch.

I think I'm going to try to find room to run the remote oil filter just so I can use this radiator.

Thanks for the writeup and pics.
                  Nah, it wasn't that bad, but those hoses do work for this application and they're spot on, as far as the molded bends and fitment, excluding the length disparity on the upper hose. You could always run the dual filter remote deal I'm running... more work and money, but no problems with room up top...

No sweat on the pics and such, I think it's a pretty killer setup and I don't anticipate any cooling issues...:D

Garey

Comment

That looks very good indeed!

Two questions and one comment:
                    -In the bottom you're using OEM rubber mounts?
                    -Oil filter?

-One thing that maybe should be considered, is actually bolting that radiator somehow to the chassis of the car. I mean, e.g. E28 and E30 radiators have the two screws (with rubber) holding the rad. in place.
                    Now as the radiator is much heavier, should it be bolted tight "just to be sure", as I'd imagine that kind of water volume jumping around in confined space will quickly break e.g. that upper mount.. ?
                    - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                    - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                    - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                    - E46 318i Touring -
                    - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Those upper mounts are pretty strong, I don't think any forces normally seen in a car would cause it to break, besides maybe a collision, in which case I'd rather the plastic mount break and save the radiator.. If you have that thing bolted down solidly, I'd be afraid of it breaking in a minor collision, leaving the car undrivable, or even cracking from chassis flex.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
                        That looks very good indeed!

Two questions and one comment:
                        -In the bottom you're using OEM rubber mounts?
                        -Oil filter?

-One thing that maybe should be considered, is actually bolting that radiator somehow to the chassis of the car. I mean, e.g. E28 and E30 radiators have the two screws (with rubber) holding the rad. in place.
                        Now as the radiator is much heavier, should it be bolted tight "just to be sure", as I'd imagine that kind of water volume jumping around in confined space will quickly break e.g. that upper mount.. ?
                        Both top and bottom mounts are OEM rubber "biscuits". I had thought about making some tabs to fit in the E36 "slots" at each top corner and bolt them to the core support, just for extra security. I tend to agree with Justin that the upper mount isn't going anywhere, but we'll see. As far as the oil filter goes, I'm running a remote, dual filter mount, a front mounted oil cooler, the X5 adapter plate with AN 10 bungs welded to it and all AN 10 braided steel line and fittings. The dual filter mount is bolted to a bracket welded to the inner frame rail on the passenger side, where the AC compressor would be. The filters are twin Bosch screw on type filters and they hang right next to the oil pan...

Garey

Comment

Remote oil filter saves a lot of hassle :)

the X5 adapter plate
                          So I suppose you don't have PS .. ?
                          - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                          - E46 318i Touring -
                          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Remote oil filter saves a lot of hassle :)

So I suppose you don't have PS .. ?
                            Oh yes I do... and yes, minimum hassle is the theme of my build, lol!

Garey

Comment

Oh yes I do... and yes, minimum hassle is the theme of my build, lol!

Garey

Hmm.. how have you solved the PS-pump rear support problem with the X5 bit? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it so that the X5 bit doesn't have the support point - so I don't see the reason for using that as you can make the original mount "as good looking" while still maintaining the support point for the pump .. ?
                              - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                              - E46 318i Touring -
                              - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Hmm.. how have you solved the PS-pump rear support problem with the X5 bit? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it so that the X5 bit doesn't have the support point - so I don't see the reason for using that as you can make the original mount "as good looking" while still maintaining the support point for the pump .. ?
                                I'll get a picture...

Garey

Comment

Working...
                                X