Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know if its the s52 or s54 z3m radiator that fits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that radiator looks really nice - what's the cost?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Pm me and the hookup shall commenceth

Comment

I think I'll buy one of these as I get closer to doing the cooling system, right now I need more important things first to get the engine done :)
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Is the thermoswitch on the e30's 2 prong or 3 prong?

I am looking at this thread:

and the first guy is recommending the 61-31-8-361-787 which has 3 prongs as such

While the guy on the second page says he uses part number 61-31-1-364-272-82 for his swaps but that part number is 2 prong...

Both operate at a nice 80c and 82c. However does the stock wiring utilize 3 prongs or 2 prongs?

The way I understand it is from 09/1987 they started using the 3 prong (61311378073) whereas upto 09/1987 they used 2 prong (61311364272/61311364273)?

The weird thing is that realoem and bmwfans lists all three (61311378073/61311364272/61311364273) for 'upto 09/1987'. So which one is it?

Edit: Seems as though the 2 pronged sensors only operate at one temperature. Still leaves the question, which e30's had the 2 prong vs 3 prong?
          Last edited by noid; 02-07-2012, 10:08 PM.
          Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

early are 2, late are 3. I think all B25s and setas are 3.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Early = 2 sensors 2 wires each
              Later = 1 sensor with 3 wires.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                I'll get a picture...

Garey
                Still waiting .. :)
                - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                - E46 318i Touring -
                - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

In for pictures also.
                  Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

It's just a simple bracket, off the lowest, front bolt of the X5 plate to support the rear bolt on the pump. Easy solution, but I don't even see it as necessary, honestly... as Justin pointed out in another thread, the X5 doesn't even have any rear support on the PS pump... Bruce has been tracking his swapped car, with power steering and no rear support for a while now and has had no issues... I think this is being made into a bigger deal than what it really is. If anyone is worried about it, make a bracket... it's pretty straightforward...

Garey

Comment

the X5 doesn't even have any rear support on the PS pump...
                      And X5 has also the fucked-up breather that freezes everytime the temperature drops near zero :) All factory solutions aren't perfect..

But, as you said the two-bolt appliances have been tracked quite a lot and seem to hold fine, so there should not be any problems.
                      However, reducing support points "for nothing" is still something I don't agree with, but I guess we've argued on this more than enough already.. So maybe it's time to go forward and concentrate on the different radiators in this thread..?

Has anyone test-fitted 16" fan to E30 - does it really fit in there nicely?
                      - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                      - E46 318i Touring -
                      - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
                        ... maybe it's time to go forward and concentrate on the different radiators in this thread..?

Has anyone test-fitted 16" fan to E30 - does it really fit in there nicely?
                        Agreed...

I tried my 16" fan on the engine side. It's a very thin fan and it still is too close to fit with any level of "comfort".You have to offset it to the passenger side and the waterpump threads don't really clear by enough, so I am sticking with my original plan of the front mount pusher with fabbed shroud. There is about 25-30mm between the shroud and the front of the radiator, so it should work well. Maybe a slightly smaller diameter fan would fit on the engine side, but then it won't move as much air. I can't speak to a small twin fan setup... that might fit, dunno...

Garey

Comment

I tried my 16" fan on the engine side. It's a very thin fan and it still is too close to fit with any level of "comfort".You have to offset it to the passenger side and the waterpump threads don't really clear by enough, so I am sticking with my original plan of the front mount pusher with fabbed shroud. There is about 25-30mm between the shroud and the front of the radiator, so it should work well. Maybe a slightly smaller diameter fan would fit on the engine side, but then it won't move as much air.
                          But does the 16" fan fit front side of the radiator?

I don't see "any" fan fitting the engine side too well in any case. They might, if you could push the engine back to "Position 3" but it's not worth it as it causes too much hassle with everything else and there's lots of space in front of the rad..
                          - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                          - E46 318i Touring -
                          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
                            But does the 16" fan fit front side of the radiator?

I don't see "any" fan fitting the engine side too well in any case. They might, if you could push the engine back to "Position 3" but it's not worth it as it causes too much hassle with everything else and there's lots of space in front of the rad..

Yes, it does fit on the front side, even with the "bump" for the hood release mechanism. Mine is a 16" and my shroud is the same size as the opening in the core support and it fits with no problem...

Garey

Comment

Here's some better proof of the 16" fan install on the front side. I re-made my infamous shroud today and here's the results...

No problems with fitment at all...

Garey

Comment

A much better design!

Comment

Working...
                                X