Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Touring M60 swap

Hi guys,

Just bought a perfect 94' 740i 6 speed manual for my E30 328is touring.

After a wash and at home :)

Had a 1300km trip with this beauty, absolutely awesome feeling. The engine is pure M60B40 no EWS or any other security/safety system onboard (the bmw technician was astonished by that fact :D). Motor has about 236k km on the clock, by the looks of it might be real. Pulls like a train on any gear except 6th under 160, which made me wonder how low can I get in the E30, which currently has 3.25 LSD on the M52 5 speed ZF.
    Here she is:

and again:

nearly done

straight angle

My mate is a drifter by heart, but I am preparing the car as a tourer with a bit of a bite :D. Its an 89' ex M20B20 bought from Italy (rust free) now with M52B28, lowered 30/30 (national roads suck), powerflex bushings nearly everywhere, 312/25 4 pot Brembo up front and 296/22 at back , 7,2kg flywheel etc. Really nice and smooth ride, but seems my butt wants more torque. I will be updating frequently with the progress made. Currently searching for the proper technician for the job (I don't have enough space :().
    Last edited by bongo78; 07-19-2012, 01:02 AM.

Originally posted by bongo78 View Post
    94' 740i 6 speed manual
    Say what?! I take it someone previously swapped it?
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post

i was not aware they made e38's in a manual trans..
      1989 325i SETA stroker [delphin] R3V'd 8/31/2011
      1989 325ix [zinnoberrot] $OLD
      1970 2002 [Nevada]

Originally posted by Herr Faust Schinken
      guy must have slid into something that doesn't look like a car vs car hit
      Originally posted by ak-
      Must of slid into Rob

Comment

In Europe they did.

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
          All is good, Vin check says factory fitted
          ;) . It was an option and an expensive one aswell.

Vehicle information
          VIN WBAG***********
          Type code GF51
          Type
          740I (EUR)
          E series E38 () Series 7
          Type LIM
          Steering
          LL
          Doors
          Engine
          M60/2
          Displacement 4.00
          Power 210
          Drive HECK
          Transmission MECH
          Colour COSMOSSCHWARZ METALLIC (303)
          Upholstery STANDARDLEDER/GRAU (N6TT)
          Prod.date 1994-09-30

Options

S320A MODELLSCHRIFTZUG ENTFALL Deleted, model lettering
          S423A FUSSMATTEN IN VELOURS Floor mats, velours
          S428A WARNDREIECK Warning triangle and first aid kit
          S438A EDELHOLZAUSFUEHRUNG Fine wood trim
          S441A
          RAUCHERPAKET Smoker package
          S456A
          KOMFORTSITZE ELEKTRISCH VERSTELLBAR Comfort seat with memory
          S464A SKISACK Ski bag
          S494A SITZHEIZUNG FUER FAHRER/BEIFAHRER Seat heating driver/passenger
          S522A XENON-LICHT Xenon Light
          S629A AUTOTELEFON MIT KARTENLESER VORN Car telephone (GSM) w card reader, front
          S676A HIFI LAUTSPRECHERSYSTEM HiFi speaker system
          L801A DEUTSCHLAND-AUSFUEHRUNG National version Germany/Austria
          S915A
          AUSSENHAUTSCHUTZ ENTFALL Delete clear coat

Still searching for the proper place to do the swap. Using a professional service will cost a little fortune. Which I prefer spending on tools rather then a huge markup. There is possibility that I am exploring to rent a shop for a certain time but will see. I have all the necessary parts for it. As well as the knowledge but don't have the space. The cooling will be the same as it is on the M52B28. After a research it turns out that the E30 TD radiator (same as euro M3) paired with an E34 Aux fan is more then enough for the job. Time will show :) . Because its an E38 series, the brake linkage will have to be fabricated from scratch. The E38 came with no clutch at all, did a E39 540 retrofit at 240mm including flywheel with an organic disc and new bearing the rest was used. Perfect combination in the 7 series must be good for the E30 as well. The flywheel that got replaced looks like brand new no movement on the springs (dual mass) so it will probably fetch a good amount of money as I do not plan to use a 265mm setup.
          Will need to examine the motor once out to see what should be replaced. is is humming pretty nicely no strange noises or ticking sound (god bless Vanos absence ). Valve covers leak so that will be for starters including spark plugs, thermostat etc. The usual stuff.

The search for a place goes on ....
          Last edited by bongo78; 07-18-2012, 02:50 PM.

Comment

^^ slap me thrice and hand me to me momma. I never knew they made manual E38s. I must have one.

Comment

Hell yeees everyone started to hate me when destruction plans where revealed of the beast aka steam boat :D.
              It seems that I will be doing the swap myself. Main plan is to drive this summer don't want a long winter project.

My previuos project:

'90 318is (M50B25) Briliant Rott Mtech II

who says those are summer cruisers

Last edited by bongo78; 07-21-2012, 08:37 AM. Reason: adding pics

Comment

This is going to be interesting. There's always the special bite with the tourers :)

The cooling will be the same as it is on the M52B28. After a research it turns out that the E30 TD radiator (same as euro M3) paired with an E34 Aux fan is more then enough for the job. Time will show :)
                Yes, it's larger than the original E30 radiator but I still doubt it'll be big enough. We've had lots of heat-related problems with V8 E30's due to undersized radiators.. Of course it's also depending on the size and effect of the electric fan.
                - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                - E46 318i Touring -
                - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
                  This is going to be interesting. There's always the special bite with the tourers :)

Yes, it's larger than the original E30 radiator but I still doubt it'll be big enough. We've had lots of heat-related problems with V8 E30's due to undersized radiators.. Of course it's also depending on the size and effect of the electric fan.
                  Its a valid point on the cooling, I am a bit of a fanatic on the cooling of E30's, the needle should only move 11:59-12:00 independent of the driving conditions. Thermostat will be changed to the colder one 85', viscous clutch will also be present but will
                  What radiator do you think will be sufficient without subframe modifications? On this engine the oil filter housing is moveble , so upper hose location will be same e.g. E36 upper hose. I am still collecting all necessary tools, today will be buying a pro welding tools. Will start to cannibalize the awfully nice 740 this weekend, I already sold the engine in the Touring (need to take it out).
                  I have planned to retrofit the whole E38 ABS system to the E30, more power will need clever brakes. Currently when brakes are applied car locks all 4 wheels and I skid away in a straight line. Fun to do but not much effective on stopping distance.

Comment

Its a valid point on the cooling, I am a bit of a fanatic on the cooling of E30's, the needle should only move 11:59-12:00 independent of the driving conditions. Thermostat will be changed to the colder one 85', viscous clutch will also be present but will
                    There won't be space for viscous fan / coupling ;)

What radiator do you think will be sufficient without subframe modifications? On this engine the oil filter housing is moveble , so upper hose location will be same e.g. E36 upper hose.
                    Cutting slight wedges to frame rails is no big deal, this way you could fit e.g. the original E38 radiator.

Other option is to get custom-radiator made. Expensive, but efficient.

I have planned to retrofit the whole E38 ABS system to the E30, more power will need clever brakes. Currently when brakes are applied car locks all 4 wheels and I skid away in a straight line. Fun to do but not much effective on stopping distance.
                    No use and f***ing complicated. WORKING E30 ABS will be as good as any other you can fit in there, though by fitting E32 / E34 ABS pump + control box you get individual pipes / control to each wheel (in E30 both rear wheels are combined to single pipe/circuit).
                    - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                    - E46 318i Touring -
                    - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

There won't be space for viscous fan / coupling ;)

Cutting slight wedges to frame rails is no big deal, this way you could fit e.g. the original E38 radiator.

Other option is to get custom-radiator made. Expensive, but efficient.

No use and f***ing complicated. WORKING E30 ABS will be as good as any other you can fit in there, though by fitting E32 / E34 ABS pump + control box you get individual pipes / control to each wheel (in E30 both rear wheels are combined to single pipe/circuit).
                      "There won't be space for viscous fan / coupling" - using the motor mounts that I have there will be space. At least hope so, I have seen couple of swaps using same mounts = plenty of space
                      "Cutting slight wedges" you are talking about 60mm on each side? Do you have a picture of that? I see you are running the old style all copper radiator, very nice touch. Have you changed the thermostat to the lower temp one eg. 85 degrees? ABS wont be a problem new lines and all is good, the tourer is missing it by default. The E38 ABS/pump combo is a completely different beast, much faster and of course wheel independent. A friend of mine "K27" has fitted the same ABS from E38 on his M70 swap :). Adapters will need to be fabricated due to size difference of the E38 ABS sensors.

Your cabrio looks stunning :)
                      Last edited by bongo78; 07-25-2012, 09:22 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

you don't need AC in Finland!

Comment

"There won't be space for viscous fan / coupling" - using the motor mounts that I have there will be space. At least hope so, I have seen couple of swaps using same mounts = plenty of space
                          Ok, that'll be interesting to see :) You're using E36 steering rack?

"Cutting slight wedges" you are talking about 60mm on each side?

Have you changed the thermostat to the lower temp one eg. 85 degrees?
                          60mm sounds quite a big number.. Friend of mine used E34 540 rad in his swap, if I remember correctly the cut-outs were something like 1-2cm. E38 could have slightly larger rad, though.

ABS wont be a problem new lines and all is good, the tourer is missing it by default. The E38 ABS/pump combo is a completely different beast, much faster and of course wheel independent. A friend of mine "K27" has fitted the same ABS from E38 on his M70 swap :). Adapters will need to be fabricated due to size difference of the E38 ABS sensors.
                          Ahh, you don't have any ABS to start with. That explains :)

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                          you don't need AC in Finland!
                          Haha, but life is much nicer with AC on those three hot days we get during the summertime! ;)
                          - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                          - E46 318i Touring -
                          - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

E36 steering rack fitted already :)

Are you using E53 exhaust manifolds? Any tips on the fabrication will be helpfull.

Comment

Yes, they're M62-powered X5 manifolds.

http://v8cabrio.kuvat.fi/#/kuvat/ ;)
                              - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                              - E46 318i Touring -
                              - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Working...
                              X