No announcement yet.

My M60 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had the same problem with my mounts. Ended up elongating the hole in my passenger side mount until the trans mount lined up and bolted up to the body. Might not be the most legit thing ever, but it's lasted about 5k miles of me beating the shit out of the car so far :)

Comment

You can really tell it's crooked near the valve cover and passenger side frame rail there.

Could be from having two of the same side mounts?

Comment

You guys are doing a lot of reinventing the wheel here... All of these issues have been covered many times in this forum.

No you can't use ANY stock m60/2 headers, yes the m60 engine mounts are offset, yes the mount arms are designed for that offset and the engine won't fit right without them, yes the m60 mounts have dual bottom studs and the subframe holes need enlarged, no the DSSR won't fit (if the stock length e30 shifter rod won't fit, an identical length aftermarket obviously won't fit either...), yes the garagistic mount arms are designed to be used with taller mounts or with m60 mounts + a spacer, no the oil pan does not need modified for engine mount fitment, that is only to correct the drivetrain angle, etc.....
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

My problem was, I bought something that was supposed to fit (because believe it or not when it's my car I'm quite lazy), and I ended up doing everything from scratch, as always... I don't know why I even bother buying "bolt on" stuff, I should know by now it never works the way I want to :D

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
            You guys are doing a lot of reinventing the wheel here... All of these issues have been covered many times in this forum.

No you can't use ANY stock m60/2 headers, yes the m60 engine mounts are offset, yes the mount arms are designed for that offset and the engine won't fit right without them, yes the m60 mounts have dual bottom studs and the subframe holes need enlarged, no the DSSR won't fit (if the stock length e30 shifter rod won't fit, an identical length aftermarket obviously won't fit either...), yes the garagistic mount arms are designed to be used with taller mounts or with m60 mounts + a spacer, no the oil pan does not need modified for engine mount fitment, that is only to correct the drivetrain angle, etc.....
            What exactly do you mean by offset engine mounts.

To me that engine does not look parallel with the front frame rail at all. That's not the offset you meant right?

Comment

Originally posted by LoneWolf View Post
              What exactly do you mean by offset engine mounts.

To me that engine does not look parallel with the front frame rail at all. That's not the offset you meant right?
              On the stock M60 mounts, the engine side sdud is not in the center of the mount, it is offset to one side
              sigpic'89 325i
              M60 swap in progress

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                hahahaha standard r3v... but this is true all of these issues have been covered
                sigpic

86 E(In the car is in a million pieces stage of making it into a bar'd 340E)
                89 I(bar'd swapped)

Comment

Originally posted by Jack89i View Post
                  On the stock M60 mounts, the engine side sdud is not in the center of the mount, it is offset to one side
                  You are supposed to use e39 td mounts or something equal to 70mm high and straight not offset. and the e34 mounts are 50mm high I think. Read the college kid thread
                  sigpic

89 I(bar'd swapped)

Comment

Originally posted by filthiest e30 View Post
                    You are supposed to use e39 td mounts or something equal to 70mm high and straight not offset. and the e34 mounts are 50mm high I think. Read the college kid thread
                    People are running standard m60 mounts.(care to chime in dirty30). Yes MJCRO is using e39tds mounts but garagistic said themselves that standard m60 mounts will work. Justin says that the mounts are designed for offset studs, i think he is right but at the same time im not sure how people are using e39tds mounts if that have a centered stud
                    sigpic'89 325i
                    M60 swap in progress

Comment

The stud is offset front/rear, not side to side.

Comment

i think dirty e30 is using different motor arms then you so different mounts but i'm not 100%
                        sigpic

89 I(bar'd swapped)

Comment

I am using Gareys mounts but I think they were copied or at least close to 300mm mounts, Justin do you know if they were similar?

Comment

I'm not sure how Garey made his mount arms, but it doesn't matter, as they were designed to be used with m60 mounts, and to clear the oil pan (the way mounts should be made...) The m60/m62 mounts have centered studs, in reference to side-to-side orientation. The upper stud is offset front/rear, which will only dictate how far forward/backward the engine sits. The 300mm.de mounts have two positions, so there's technically 4 total engine placement possibilities with them. The total range is maybe 1.5". But in any orientation, the upper and lower studs are still centered side-to-side, just as a 'centered', bolt-through engine mount would be.

The problem you are having with engine height can be corrected with taller mounts. Any centered mount will work fine, but it will change your engine position forward/backward in comparison to an m60 mount (not necessarily a bad thing, it all depends on how much clearance you have with your combination of parts). Alternatively, you can use large washers as spacers. I used two 1/8" thick fender washers, the same diameter as my m60 mounts, because my e36 steering rack was hitting my oil pan. The revshift m60 mounts were slightly taller, allowing me to remove those washers. There's plenty of stud length on the top and bottom for spacers, and although it may look half-ass, I don't really see any strength issues with it.

Comment

+1 with everything JGood is saying. Save yourself the money and use some thick washers as suggested. I was originally planning on doing the same with the 540i Revshift mounts I had, but ended up giving them to Frank for his S62 swap.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I just installed the m60 mounts correctly with the studs in the forward position. The oil pan did sit on the steering rack so I shimmed the shit out of it. Should work for now, later on I might just get e39tds mounts. The engine appears* to be sitting straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                sigpic'89 325i
                                M60 swap in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X