• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep going!

Comment

Originally posted by euro2fast4u View Post
      Keep going!
      On hold until next week. Might tinker a little tonight but I have to pack

Just spent a lot of money at pelican parts. M60 parts are not cheap. They should be here next Thursday.

Plus I fly out to Chicago tomorrow for the weekend and then Connecticut the following weekend.

Still waiting on valve covers from the powder coater. And I need to take him my timing covers.

Comment

think in about 2 weeks ill be back to move the e30 to its new home

Comment

Originally posted by euro2fast4u View Post
          think in about 2 weeks ill be back to move the e30 to its new home
          Come stop by then if you're in town.

Comment

So minor update....

A bunch of my parts came in from pelican and I was able to do a little work last night. Borrowed my cousins Milwaukee 1/2 impact and got the crank bolt off no problem. So I finished pulling the timing cover.

I had planned in taking the timing covers to the powder coater. But that plan has changed... See pics below.

Not sure how well you can tell from the pics but these things are warped to hell haha. The finish did not come out how I wanted at all either. The oil cap hole is no longer round, most of the flat surfaces have dipped, and there appear to be bubbles.

Must just be from the poor quality of the cast or they cooked them wayyyyy too hot.

I wasn't charged for the work, but now I'm out a set of valve covers.

I guess I will regroup and just use the vht paint.

Comment

Lol, holy shit!

The casting is really poor on these valve covers, there's a lot of porosity and it makes it hard to get paint to look good. I went with a dull silver color engine spray paint, and it hid the defects pretty well.
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                Lol, holy shit!

The casting is really poor on these valve covers, there's a lot of porosity and it makes it hard to get paint to look good. I went with a dull silver color engine spray paint, and it hid the defects pretty well.
                Yeah,

Sucks, but what can I do. The powder coater guys face was hilarious.

I was starting to wonder why I hadn't heard back from them after a week, gonna guess that's why

If anyone has a spare set lying around let me know please.
                Last edited by LoneWolf; 10-02-2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Yea, I ended up using a wire wheel to get as much as i could, then used a flap disc on a grinder for the real ugly spots, then hit it with an sander. Took way too long for what it is lol.

Comment

it looks like the temp was to high. :( im sorry, with enough prep work the wrinkle can finish isnt bad and came out pretty well for me.

here are some freshly painted photos

Ignore the ash on this one. had a bon fire once we started it up!

Comment

bahaha

Are you running that thing straight piped in the engine bay?

Bet that was stealth :D

Comment

Aren't they magnesium hence all the odd casting marks?

Comment

Yes. M60 VCs are magnesium.
                          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

until i built the down pipe yes. I bet thats why they are warped he thought they were aluminum. put the temp to a normal temp for aluminum and came out like that.

i would bug him to help cover the costs of new ones. Unless you thought as well that they were aluminum and told him that.

Comment

So new valve covers are on their way. I will blast them and just use vht. Going to do the timing covers too.

Anyone know the spline count on an airbag steering shaft? I still need to order the steering joints. Or anyone know the count on an e36 rack?

Comment

no sorry :/

Comment

Working...
                                X