318is M60 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So update, need to take some pics.

Sorted out my steering joint, going to just be able to use the stock one and deleted the rubber guibo. We will see if I have enough clearance for the header though.

Swapped out my 4.10 for a 2.93 LSD.

My oilpan is screwed. All was well until I welded in the stock for the windage tray, then it went banana on me. Ordered another one of those and have someone who should be able to what I need. This is holding me up from reassembling the engine right now.

Doing the final things for my hydroboost setup. Looks like I am going to need to beat on the inner fender a little bit more to clear where the lines go in. Also need to shorten the rod in the hydroboost housing so it will work with my 25mm master cylinder.

Would there be anything wrong with extending my existing clutch master cylinder feed hose to reach the master cylinder reservoir?

Sidenote
    Should be going to look at an e34 wagon this weekend. We will see though.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneWolf View Post
      Would there be anything wrong with extending my existing clutch master cylinder feed hose to reach the master cylinder reservoir?
      As long as you seal it good and are confident that it's not gonna leak I say you'll be fine

Comment

Has anyone made their own headers for the m60 yet? Contemplating ordering a bunch of mild steel prebent stuff.

1-3/4" seem about right for the primaries? Or is that too big?

Anyone know the grade of stainless that the bmw manifolds are?

Comment

Did some work tonight and got the master cylinder mounted to the hydroboost. I need to verify some hardware tomorrow and get some lines made soon.

Steering rack is in, greased and new boots. I had to do some grinding on the firewall to get the e36m3 rack to line up with the steering column.
          Stock steering joint is modified. Not sure how much room I will have for exhaust. But hopefully making my own headers will let it clear.

Still need to massage the inner fender a bit to clear the hydraulic lines.

Comment

Many boxes, much work to do.

Comment

This is the photo I've been searching for in regards to the motor mount positioning.

Let me know how your motor mounts end up sitting on there.

Originally posted by LoneWolf View Post

Comment

^^^^these are 1994 540i mounts. I'm building my own engine mounts though so I won't have the alignment issues you're having.

Soooo my new oil pan came in from ebay. Pulled it out of the box and noticed one of the mounts for the power steering was sheeted off.

I was pretty annoyed, I was gonna have to wait another week to get another and then time getting it modified.

Didn't have anything to lose trying to fix the old pan so what the heck.
                The little map gas torch wasn't enough last time, went a little bigger.

We were able to get the oil pan back to straight without cracking it. There is one section that has about 1/32" raised up. Hoping that some gasket maker seals it.

Comment

Mine was warped more then 1/32", and it's still sealed fine 7k miles later, so I bet you'll be fine. It pulled straight when I tightened the bolts with very little torque.
                  85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                  e30 restoration and V8 swap
                  24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

great meeting you today crazy this build was going on less then a mile from my house (ok a couple if you don't straight line it). hope to see more of it and cant wait to see it fire up.

Comment

Originally posted by Minty_Fresh View Post
                      great meeting you today crazy this build was going on less then a mile from my house (ok a couple if you don't straight line it). hope to see more of it and cant wait to see it fire up.
                      Thanks man. Good meeting you as well. Got a few thing done today.

After straightening my oil pan last week I did a little leak test with some water. I have two spots that had a slight drip after waiting an hour or so. Going to take care of that tomorrow night, my buddy will work his tig wizardry.

Removed the airbag and abs sensors. Cut off the brackets and ground them flat. Need to throw some spray bomb on it to stop the rust for now. Also started removing the wiring. Need to get the wire out at the fuse box.

Painted my valve covers with the wrinkle paint. I will post up some pics once they are done curing. Kind of worried I didn't put it down thick enough..... We will see.

Comment

Still curing but you can see the texture coming up.

The timing covers painted.

Comment

damn that is some serious texture, and those timing covers came out nice keep it coming
                          M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

What exhaust sizes are you guys running on your m60?

Comment

I'm running dual 2.5". I think stock is dual 2.25" (or the closest metric equivalent). For a stock m60, 2.25" is probably fine. e39 M5's use dual 2.5".
                              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                              e30 restoration and V8 swap
                              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                                I'm running dual 2.5". I think stock is dual 2.25" (or the closest metric equivalent). For a stock m60, 2.25" is probably fine. e39 M5's use dual 2.5".
                                Thanks I was trying to sort that out. Hopefully I didn't go too big with my primary pipes....

Comment

Working...
                                X