318is M60 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is M60 swap

I debated starting a build thread, but figured it could be helpful to be able to ask questions in the thread. So after lots of research and getting another car to daily, my swap is finally underway.

Never have been one to take lots of pictures, so most of these will probably be taken with the iPhone.

Here is a picture of the car when I first found it, while on my way to work, there it was on the side of the road.

The bumpers were pretty beat up, they were replaced with mismatched colors. The front valence and fogs were trashed as well. I found a good deal on a racing dynamics smooth valence and some fogs.

Then had to do some work to the engine. I was able to test drive the car a short distance, and the owner even put it up on his lift in the garage for me to look under. The car is rust free, came from Florida. The PO though had cleaned a lot of the area under the engine, this hid all of the common oil leaks the M42 had. They popped up though within a week of owning the car and I had to park it. Ordered a bunch of gaskets and coolant lines from Pelican Parts and had the car going again in a week.

After driving the car for about a year I started looking at swap options. Went as far as collecting a lot of parts to do an LS6 swap, but ended up deciding against it. The idea of a V8 was what excited me, but something about putting a chevy in it turned me off a bit. So I did some reading about the M60. before I knew it I was out buying parts.

This M60 is out of a 93 740i, still needs some pieces. Hunting for the accessories, picked up the power steering pump, and have a line on the alternator and starter.

Also picked up this 6-speed out of a 2002 540i

Next was pulling the old M42 out the the car and selling it, also wanted the make the front core support removable. Removed all of the A/C lines to the firewall as well.

So thats where I am at for now.
    Just picked up a Hobart Handler 210MVP welder, should have it up and running by next weekend. Then it will be time to start fabbing the engine mounts and transmission mount extension.

Placing an order for the drivers side rubber engine mount, also need the transmission mounts, those were ripped when the guy pulled the transmission.

Trying to figure out how to pull this off the transmission, the clutch pack and pressure plate I think? Any input?

Good stuff. Will definitely be following your thread as this is the swap I plan to do next year! Good luck with it!
    Originally posted by 36brua
    Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
    Patryk:up:
    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
    08 VW .:R32
    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

lol, how the hell did they pull the trans off with the front half of the dual mass flywheel?

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
        lol, how the hell did they pull the trans off with the front half of the dual mass flywheel?
        I have no clue!

Don't know what to do to get it off there at this point. Ha

Comment

What the hell, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by MJCRO View Post
            What the hell, lol.
            I'm so glad these responses confirm my confusion

Comment

Sub'd.. Also putting together my M60 v8 swap

Comment

Originally posted by LoneWolf View Post
                I have no clue!

Don't know what to do to get it off there at this point. Ha
                Nothing, the whole assembly (pressure plate, disc, 1/2 flywheel) should just pull right off. Maybe there's some corrosion on the input shaft holding the disc on, but a gentle tap with a rubber mallet, or just a hard pull, and it should slide right off.

You could also stick a rod of some sort in the slave cylinder opening and give it a solid hit(s) with a hammer. That should push everything out.
                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                  Nothing, the whole assembly (pressure plate, disc, 1/2 flywheel) should just pull right off. Maybe there's some corrosion on the input shaft holding the disc on, but a gentle tap with a rubber mallet, or just a hard pull, and it should slide right off.

You could also stick a rod of some sort in the slave cylinder opening and give it a solid hit(s) with a hammer. That should push everything out.
                  Thanks for the input.

I went at it for 15 minutes trying to get it to pop off when I first picked it up, but haven't went back after it yet.

Will do this week.

Comment

Get plenty of WD40 or PB blaster and let it sit till you feel like going at it again. Rust fusion probably.

Check the shaft and seals.

Comment

Good start! Any plans to refresh the m60 before dropping it in?
                      1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
                        Good start! Any plans to refresh the m60 before dropping it in?
                        Planning to do the water pump and a few gaskets, need new knock sensors, those were really cracked up.

Not planning on pulling the heads, unless I happen to find a thicker head gaskets... Anyone with a line on those?

Comment

So miner update....

Got a couple goodies in the mail today....

Garret's hydroboost set up, hoping this will work. Haven't seen one on an M60 swap yet. Oh and whoever packed this thing, Thanks for the Sunday comics it was packed with :D

And a really clean engine cover that popped up here on r3v. Not sure if it will end up fitting though with everything getting crammed under the hood...

Oh and in the backround there the Hobart 210mvp. Excited to get it set up, thats the first order of business. Plan on building a nice cart that holds 3 of the medium sized bottles, not sure on the poundage on those.

Still waiting on the rubber engine mount and trans mounts I ordered anyways.

Comment

Not much of an update. Spent a little time in the garage today. I pulled the seats and the brake booster.

Still waiting to get the welder all set up, hopefully there is time this week to get the bottles I need.

Also spent some time with the transmission. I pulled the slave cylinder and tried hammering some. No luck. I didn't want to go wild and bend something.

I can push the half of the flywheel and clutch pack in and then push the clutch fork and it pops out. But wont fully come off. What am I missing here?

Pushed in

Pushed clutch fork and it pops out

So anybody have any input on how to pull this thing off? Do I just need a bigger hammer?
                            Oh and just to clarify I shouldn't be hammering on the clutch fork right? I
                            Thanks

Comment

Bigger hammer.

A brand new clutch fork from the dealer is $20.

Do you feel anything on the splines where it's getting stuck? The disc is obviously getting caught up somewhere on the splines... Find that spot and clean it/file it down.
                              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                              e30 restoration and V8 swap
                              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
                              X