Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zacm829
    replied
    Looking great, glad to hear you made your deadline! I still need to hookup my CEL on my swap. Hopefully I can get the stomp test to work as well!

Leave a comment:

• delamaize
    replied
    Well, today was the day! Meet up with the PDX caravan guys this morning, and rolled out with them. We went Hwy507 to Hwy510 to hwy7, which was awesome. The M60 likes the cool, dense morning air, it ran awesome all day, even on the trip back. Not a single problem all day.

(Maston took this shot, while I was talking swap still)

The swap was a hit, I had some many questions about it, and compliments. The show it's self was awesome also, as usual.

A few things I found. On the way back, I decided to diagnose the brake problems I have been having. I unplugged the ABS pump, and some of the issues I had got a little better, So I have a ABS problem. I may just delete it all together.

Another thing I made an effort to try to pay attention to, was the surging issue. I made a few discoveries. First, last night, I tested the resistance over pin 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and 1 to 3. I found that 1-2 was 12 ohms, 2-3 was 10 ohms, and 1-3 was 24 ohms. From what I found, (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...leaning-help-)) ) between 1-2 and 2-3 it should be 12 ohms +/- 2, and over 1-3 should be 23 +/- 4. So the resistance between 2-3 is in spec, but it's on the bottom of the spec, I think that may be part of my issue. the second thing I discovered, is when the clutch is pushed in, and I brake hard, it surges from below idle to about 1200, and back down to an idle, eventually it evens out, once stopped. My theory is, the weak coil in the ICV is not able to keep the ICV at the correct position under braking. I have already thoroughly cleaned the ICV, so I'm thinking it might be time to just replace it.

I'm still getting a O2 sensor lights for both left and right sides, I'm not sure what is going on there, I have not had time to diagnose it yet. I think I may have the wrong sensors. I will address that later.

It has thrown a new code twice now, 1263, which is "Purge Valve." I need to look into what that is, and why it would be throwing a code.

Overall, I am still very happy with how things are going, and how much fun this car is. Awesome swap, I fall in love with this car more and more, every time I turn the key.
    Last edited by delamaize; 07-09-2017, 10:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• delamaize
    replied
    More tinkering ensued today.

Did an experiment, to try to isolate my minor surging issue. I disconnected my ICV to see if anything improved. Which their was an improvement, but not a total fix. So I plan on trying to clean the ICV really good, and of course, test it, if I can find the values and testing procedures.

I also discovered that I forgot to hook up the check engine light. It was at pin 12 on the C101, and pin 8 on the X20, but I had missed putting that wire in. I added it today, and the light started to work. I was able to get the stomp test to work also. It was throwing 1221, and 1212, Which is O2 sensors codes. I reset the codes, and I will see if it throws the codes again. It wouldn't surprise me if the sensors are out of whack, Given I had to put new plugs on, and I am not 100% of the wiring. I mean, I'm confident that I pinned them correctly, but I could be wrong. We will see.

7 days til picnic, still running good.

Leave a comment:

• delamaize
    replied
    Woo! Another text box update!

Under the hood, MAF swap was semi-successful. It's running a little better, but still does the weird surging thing. The range it is making the surging has changed a little also. TPS is good to go, the resistances are within spec, and it's getting the required 5 volts. I have read that a ICV that isn't function right can cause this also, Mine buzzes like it should, but I think it may be a little loud. Going to check it out as soon as I find the specs for it. I think I may have a vacuum leak somewhere still also, Maybe injectors that are not flowing 100%? they will cause what I got going on. Still fishing. It doesn't effect drivability though.

I made a mount for the C101 plug, so it's not just zip tied to the fuse box anymore. I also installed a new temp sensor for the gauge. Now the temp gauge is reading just a hair above the half mark, which seems to be consistent with the other M60 swaps on here. Under hood temps also seem to be down. I speculate that changing the cheapo MAF out with the real Bosch one may have riched things up a little, and made it a little cooler running.

I got a pop in the exhaust, after decel to idle, then back on the throttle, Again, that might be tied into the other, surging, issue.

Inside, I made a shitty new shifter boot for my shitty shifter. I also made the stock shifter knob work a little better. I'm pretty happy with it for now. I'll probably buy a new, real boot when I get a knob that sucks a little less. At the same time, I recovered the drivers side sun visor, after installing the Homelink garage door opener I scavenged from the junkyard IS300 I have in my back yard right now. It's not perfect, but it looks pretty good. Of course, if you've seen my car, it's obvious nothing is perfect about it.

Also, I got a New decal made for the back window, See attached picture.

10 days till picnic.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by delamaize; 11-22-2016, 11:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CorvallisBMW
    replied
    Looking great! Can't wait to see it at the picnic.

Leave a comment:

• delamaize
    replied
    So, After 7 days, I'm still in love with this swap. Even taking it easy, this thing is so fun. I have a few changes, and diagnosis things I need to do.

First of all, it has become very apparent, that I need to get the brake bias dialed in. Right now it isn't bad, but I am relying on back brakes too much. I installed a remote adjuster, but I think it came unscrewed when I was adjusting it the other day. I'm thinking bigger brakes is also a must in the future.

I have a weird slight surge when the RPMs stay at one speed for too long, it's the worse at about 2k, and slower speeds. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I have been able to do a few tests, mostly checking for vacuum leaks, which their is none. I'm wondering if I have a few injectors that are not flowing 100%, or maybe a weak fuel pump. Another thing I suspected is maybe the MAF is a problem. I bought a cheap ass one off Rock Auto, and I'm not sure about the quality, the housing is pretty nice, but the sensor it's self is pretty chinsey. Luckily, I still has the original Bosch sensor, with the destroyed housing, that came with the motor originally. I swapped the Bosch into the cheap housing tonight, I will see tomorrow if it has any effect.

I'm positive I got the cooling system burped now, But it still runs a little hotter than I think it should be running. It's staying between the half mark, and 3/4 mark, usually right between the two, with the fan running. In colder weather, I don't seem to need to run the fan, Although I still do. I can get the temp to come down a little closer to the half mark with the heater. I'm not sure if this is a normal range or not, but it doesn't seem to get hotter. I feel like that the under hood temps are a little hot also, but again, I'm not sure what is normal.

I need to switch out the slave cylinder with the M5 one I bought. I have to REALLY bury my foot into the floor to get 100% disengagement. I also need to take out the Unlock Valve, and install the Clutch Delay Valve Delete I got from ECS.

The Radio is doing weird shit, the speakers cut off when I turn the headlights on. I have my speculation on whats up with it, I just gotta yank the radio back out of the dash and look at the wiring again.

I want to get some different seats, or re bolster and re upholster my stock sport seats, and get some better seatbelts, or harnesses. I am also thinking about getting a mild cage built for it.

I'm thinking about maybe having a pair of resonators put on it sometime. I love the noise this thing makes, but I could see myself getting tired of it, and it does drone a little on the interstate.

I moved the missing headlight from the left side, to the right, which leaves the air filter open though the hole. I figured if I'm going to be missing a light for a while, I may as well have some benefit from it.

Overall, this swap was so worth it, I am having a great time with this car. Tomorrow, I'm taking it for a longer drive, So far I've driven it about 30 minutes at a time, Tomorrow will be about 45 to an hour, when I take it to go look at a friend's danger ranger that is having some issues. If I have no issues there, then I shouldn't have an issue getting it to the show.

12 days till picnic, I'm ok taking it with the small issues I am having, but I would prefer to have it 100%

Last edited by delamaize; 07-09-2017, 09:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• delamaize
    replied
    Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
    Damn sucks to see that happen to a finned diff cover! I picked up the Garagistic second mount preemptively, it looks like it is probably worth it.
    I got a stock 2.93 open diff cover on it now, Going to order the Garagistic mount on pay day. Probably going to stay with the 2.93 diff cover. The fins were a little lower than what the roads in my area can handle.

Leave a comment:

• jpod999
    replied
    Damn sucks to see that happen to a finned diff cover! I picked up the Garagistic second mount preemptively, it looks like it is probably worth it.

Leave a comment:

• delamaize
    replied
    Well, i found a weak point...
    I bottomed out the other day, I'm pretty sure it weakened it, then when I pinned it to win it in 2nd, SNAP! good thing I had a standard diff cover from the original 2.93 open. few hours of work, and another 1.5 quarts of royal purple, and we are back on the road again. Guess it's time for the Garagistic secondary diff mount...

Last edited by delamaize; 07-09-2017, 09:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• delamaize
    replied
    God this car is addicting. BRB, going to pick and pull to try to find some headlight parts.

Leave a comment:

• delamaize
    replied
    Originally posted by P Arkus View Post
    Thats awesome. There's not chance you are doing Leavenworth drive this weekend are you? Would love to check this beast out!
    No, unfortunately I have to work. I wish I was.

Leave a comment:

• P Arkus
    replied
    Thats awesome. There's not chance you are doing Leavenworth drive this weekend are you? Would love to check this beast out!

Leave a comment:

• delamaize
    replied
    Update time again!
    I took the car up to Austin's Pro-Max in Tacoma, Wa. to do the exhaust, They did an awesome job, and was able to get it done in one day. After talking with them about the sound I wanted, we went with a Flowmaster series 40, 2.5" x2 in, 2.5" x2 out. Thing sounds amazing, a little loud, but I like it. This thing pulls like a train, and the speed sneaks up on you quick.

I am a little lower than I would like, only about 2" from the oil pan to the ground, so I need to get a skid plate. and I have a clunk in the right front corner I need to track down.

Ghetto Shifter v1.5 works well, and I have a pretty short throw. It's really notchy, and a solid feel, I really like it. This answered my questions about this style shifter, So I will be buying a AKG DTM shifter to replace Ghetto Shifter eventually.

The tach is doing a weird jumpy thing from time to time, it only seems to do it when the RPMs are in one place, I can live with it though. I didn't use the Garagistic chip, Although I do have one, I need a 4 cylinder coding chip to go with it, if I want to use it in the future. I used one of these:

Also, I'm pretty sure I got the cooling system burped. I'm running a little hotter than I would like, But I am not sure what is "normal." It seems to stay between the 1/2 line and the 3/4 line on the E30 gauge. that is with the cooling fan on, Without the cooling fan, it gets closer to the 3/4 mark, and with the heater going, I can get it closer to the half mark.
    Debating on putting another temp sensor on it somewhere, and another temp gauge, with actual numbers so I know how hot it actually is.

I'd like to hear from the other M60 swaps out there where your temperature sits, and what would be "Normal."

Today, I did a few minor fixing things. Luke, from GAS, had one of the Front headlining cover to replace the one I had that was all busted up. I also discussed a future stereo plans, I gotta get the credit card paid down before I can do it though. I also temporally fixed the broken seat back.

Regardless, it's running and driving, For now, I'm taking it easy on it, and just kinda cruising it, I don't want to take the chance of breaking it before the Picnic. After then, I may hammer on it a little, and see what breaks. lol

Here is an in cab video, audio on it sucks, but you can get the idea.
    (still uploading at the time of writing this)
    BMW E30 M60 swap first drive. Today Maston and I got the brakes bled, the clutch bleed, and a few other small things buttoned up. Decided to take it for its ...

Picnic in 19 days....
    Last edited by delamaize; 12-02-2017, 12:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jpod999
    replied
    Wow! Awesome updates! I'm so jealous you got to drive yours!!

Leave a comment:

• delamaize
    replied
    Loaded up and ready to Possibly get the exhaust put on tomorrow. The place I'm taking it to is kinda a first come, first serve place, So I'm hoping that getting there early might get it and done tomorrow.

Last edited by delamaize; 07-09-2017, 09:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X