Transmission Questions: M60 vs M62

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Questions: M60 vs M62

Since i'm doing a manual swap at the same time as my engine swap, I want to make sure I have everything in place when ordering the right parts. I have a few questions which I'm hoping you guys can help me out with.

1) The engine is out of a 95 540i and I sourced a 2000 540i 6 speed transmission. Now I understand that there is a difference in the spline count between the E34 and the E39 6 speeds, but aside from choosing the clutch, PP and FW setups, does this have an effect on anything else? For the record, I am going to be running the UUC LWFW with organic clutch combo.

2) What about the CPS sensor that is in the bellhousing of the E39 transmission. Since the M60 has this on the front of the engine, clearly I dont need the one in the transmission, but what does everyone do with it? Just leave the sensor in there to keep it plugged up or take it out and plug with a custom plate?

3) What slave cylinder do you use? I would assume you want to match it to the transmission so go with an E39, but I could be wrong.

4) What transmission mounts do you use? I tried to look for this info everywhere and cant seem to find it. E30, E34, or E39?

5) Lastly, since I need to order all the shifter parts for the car, I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Again I am under the assumption that everything should come from an E39 to match the transmission. Here is the diagram from realoem regarding the E39 shifter assembly:

I purchased the E60 short shift kit and I have a DSSR that I will be shortening to size. I still need to buy#2 (Shifter arm, then shorten) #11 (rubber boot) and #14 (Shifter Arm Bearing). Now forgive my ignorance, but obviously one end of the shifter arm bearing mounts onto the shifter arm, but where does the other end mount to? Should this bearing be E39, or does an E30 one fit better?

I apologize for some of these noob questions, but this is my first swap and as I get closer to assembling everything, I’m getting more nervous and questioning if I’m doing it correctly. If you guys can let me know what you have done for these questions, and correct any of my wrong assumptions, I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
    Originally posted by 36brua
    Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
    Patryk:up:
    Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
    08 VW .:R32
    04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

There is no difference in the splines on the input shaft. The e39 trans is basically backwards compatible with the e34, the only real difference is the CPS hole. You can leave it plugged if you want, doesn't matter.

I would use whatever slave matches the clutch kit you buy. Not sure if there's a difference between e34 265mm and e39 240mm in regards to the slave length. I know there's a few different size bores within each body, not sure why or which cars got which. I just used the slave that came with my trans.

You use the e30 trans brace with e30 trans mounts (whichever ones you want, e21 upgrade, stock rubber, poly, etc...). You need to weld on extensions to the brace to reach the factory mounting point.

Part number 14 won't fit, it has no way of attaching to the e30 chassis. You could make a mount for it, or just use the stock e30 mount/bushing.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Justin you are a rock star! Could I ask your opinion as to which trans mounts you would recommend? I'm kind of leaning towards the Garagistic E21 upgrade cups to prevent the transmission from moving too much, but I don't know how much it would really move with stock E30 rubber mounts. Also are you using the stock E30 mount for the shifter arm bushing?
      Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

stock e30 mount works perfectly, becareful with a short shift kit and a dssr as it may foul on the larger diameter guibo,
        I used the factory e39 shifter with a dssr and it just clears the guibo. a short shifter pushes the dssr down further so may require modifying.
        do yourself a favour while its all apart and your rebuilding it get the garagistic delrin shifter bushes and rear bush. stiffens the whole setup up 10 fold.

Comment

I'm using the e21 mounts with cups. Perfect half-way point between stock rubber and poly, in my opinion. Very slight increase in vibration. The shifter feels better with the cups, since the trans isn't moving around.

I'm using the e30 shifter mount. I forget which shift lever I have, I know I tried using a shorter throw and it hit the guibo, like someone else mentioned. You just have to try and see what works. I bent my shifter mount up a bit for additional clearance. I also am using a stock linkage rod which has a bend in it to clear the guibo, a straight linkage would never work.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Hmm that's very good to know about the short shifter and the linkage rod. I'll have to do some testing with my parts to see if they fit! Thanks for the help guys!

04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
              I'm using the e21 mounts with cups. Perfect half-way point between stock rubber and poly, in my opinion. Very slight increase in vibration. The shifter feels better with the cups, since the trans isn't moving around.

I'm using the e30 shifter mount. I forget which shift lever I have, I know I tried using a shorter throw and it hit the guibo, like someone else mentioned. You just have to try and see what works. I bent my shifter mount up a bit for additional clearance. I also am using a stock linkage rod which has a bend in it to clear the guibo, a straight linkage would never work.
              I believe the bent 318ti shifter is the one that was used in the "because racecar" build.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

Working...
              X