Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Dad's DD to my new toy... M62B44 swap time!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wspellmann View Post
    Got the crank holder on Amazon for $65 shipped. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BZW6CYA..._7oRTBuUTwjPmq

Am in San Antonio.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    thank you for that. looks like i'll need to fab my own for the s62. i didn't see one listed to fit that engine.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

As I have mentioned in another thread I had a bolt break while removing the upper cover on the back of the block. That's what I get for being impatient and using a cordless impact driver to get those 17 bolts off. So instead of saving maybe five minutes work, I added another 5 HOURS work and a full day's delay while waiting for some tools (metric drill bits, stop collars for the bits and a metric tap kit).

I drilled a small hole and then used a dremel to get the hole to an approximate diameter. I'll bolt the cover on and use it as a guide to drill the proper diameter hole. I'll use a collar on the drill bit so depth is correct also. If the cover is damaged I'll get another, I've seen it as low as $43 on FCPeuro.com.

I also ordered a whole bunch of new M6 bolts for that cover and the lower oil pan. I used belmetric.com for that. Hard to beat ~$30 for 75 bolts and washers.

Does anyone have a good technique for getting that crusty old gasket off without marring the block?

My current E30 M62B44 swap

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
        thank you for that. looks like i'll need to fab my own for the s62. i didn't see one listed to fit that engine.
        I'd offer to let you borrow it via USPS, but after I got it I quickly understood why it cost $20 to ship it. It's pretty damn heavy. By the time we've paid to send it back and forth, you may as well have bought your own.

Comment

thank you. no worries. i don't think it fits anyway.

as to your your predicament above, do you happen to have a floor standing drill press? if you do, you can set the block up vertically and drill slowly.

at this point, the best course of action would be to drill it out oversize and drop in a hellicoil.

if i were you, i would not use the cover as a guide. all you are going to do is mess it up.

it is going to be difficult to stay on the bolt with your drill if you try to cut the hole by hand. it will tend to wander off into the aluminum.

DONT try to remove it with one cut. drill a pilot hole first with a tiny bit.

i would use a center punch on the tip of the offending stud in order to try getting a small pilot hole started. use good sharp drill bits. tip the block up vertically to work on it if you can. it will make it easier to keep the hole straight.

godspeed
          sigpic
          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

thank you. no worries. i don't think it fits anyway.

as to your your predicament above, do you happen to have a floor standing drill press? if you do, you can set the block up vertically and drill slowly.

at this point, the best course of action would be to drill it out oversize and drop in a hellicoil.

if i were you, i would not use the cover as a guide. all you are going to do is mess it up.

it is going to be difficult to stay on the bolt with your drill if you try to cut the hole by hand. it will tend to wander off into the aluminum.

DONT try to remove it with one cut. drill a pilot hole first with a tiny bit.

i would use a center punch on the tip of the offending stud in order to try getting a small pilot hole started. use good sharp drill bits. tip the block up vertically to work on it if you can. it will make it easier to keep the hole straight.

godspeed
            No drill press... I've already drilled a very small pilot hole and dremeled most of the material away with chainsaw sharpening bits. It's just a mm or so smaller in diameter than it should be for tapping. I just need to round out the hole to the proper tapping size.

I know the ramifications of f'ing this up and am taking my time.

Comment

flyboy, I went with your suggestion on using helicore (mine was some generic brand) to retap the hole. It was a good idea.

My initial drilling went off center, so I had to use a dremel with no less than 3 chainsaw sharpening bits to get the hole back on center. I then used increasing sizes of drill bits with depth collars until I hit the 1/4" size for tapping for the new thread insert. Tapped the hole, threaded in the insert and it was done.

Thanks for the direction, flyboy.

I blasted all of the holes for that cover with pb blaster and ran a new bolt thru each hole to clean the threads out a little. Then I put on 17 all-new M6 washers and bolts to clamp her back down. Three day delay from one broken bolt is finally over.

My valve covers are done being powder-coated in WHITE. I love how they look. There is some pitting in the surface, but I don't mind it. Maybe one day I'll get some better covers. Until then, $100 is hard to beat for media-blasting and powder-coat. I would have spent a whole lot more on stripping chemicals and a few days of time cleaning and painting these myself. The powder coat should last much, much longer than paint also.

Comment

On to the timing case and chain guides!

Good news is it seems previous owner was not lying about chain guides having been recently replaced as they have no wear on them that I can see. You can also see that there was a pretty nasty failure that precipitated the recent service.

My problem now is that I have so many o-rings and washers in this victor reinz gasket kit and I have no idea where they go. There's zero documentation on what is included in the kit.

Comment

^ I notice that as well.

Cool build. Its gotta be interesting to go from an M3 back to an E30, even if it has a v8 in it.
                  My previous build (currently E30-less)
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                    ^ I notice that as well.

Cool build. Its gotta be interesting to go from an M3 back to an E30, even if it has a v8 in it.
                    Even with the 300k mile 2.5L, worn subframe and suspension bushings and two bad ball joints/control arms it's more fun to drive than the E90 ever was. So much more feel to the E30, and the 800lb difference is definitely noticeable.

I cannot wait to see how this chassis is with some

I definitely do not miss the insurance rates on the M3.

Comment

I'm so glad it worked out for you. I have to say I've been in that situation more than once.
                      sigpic
                      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

Parts have been arriving. Turns out my motor didn't have gaskets for the plastic covers on the valve covers, so I got a pair of them along with a new pair of plastic covers since they were only ~$20 per.

Also have some non-oem goodies to install... Megan coilover kit and ST Suspension ARBs

I also picked up a cheapo flux core MIG welder and PPE. It's time I learn to weld a little bit. It cost me $100 just to have the front subframe reinforcements welded on and I still need to weld on the coilover tubes, differential mount reinforcements, rear ARB link reinforcements, and whatever custom mounting solutions in the engine bay.

My driveshaft is being made by garagistic right now, I expect to hear from them within the next week.

I've been on hiatus due to my back (herniated L5 disc) flaring up on me, so I've been in and out of the chiropractor's office for 10 days now. Today, I'm finally starting to feel some relief but I'm still so f'n stiff.

I'm dead set on getting this done before fall comes around. I want to get this thing out to Texas World Speedway before it closes at the end of the year.

Comment

sorry to hear about your back injury. if you picked the flux core welder up from harbor freight, i would return it and look on craigslist or pawn shops for a decent older mig that takes gas. i don't think you will ever be anywhere close to happy with a cheap flux core. they are really crappy.

you should be able to find something for less than 300 bucks.
                          sigpic
                          Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

man this is awesome, can't wait to see the finishing product. i know your dad is excited you took his car and that you're actually doing something to it
                            e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

sorry to hear about your back injury. if you picked the flux core welder up from harbor freight, i would return it and look on craigslist or pawn shops for a decent older mig that takes gas. i don't think you will ever be anywhere close to happy with a cheap flux core. they are really crappy.

you should be able to find something for less than 300 bucks.
                              I've scoured CL and spent the better part of two days searching pawn shops and I couldn't find anything worthwhile within my budget.

I've read enough material and watched enough videos to know what I'm getting into with flux core. I know it's the least desirable of the methods, but it does what's intended.

I really wanted a stick welder, but all the videos I watched said to start with wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Reyhan335 View Post
                                man this is awesome, can't wait to see the finishing product. i know your dad is excited you took his car and that you're actually doing something to it
                                Thanks, Reyhan! Yeah, my dad is quite excited to see the finished result.

Comment

Working...
                                X