No announcement yet.

86 eta 5.0 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been thinking about this more and more, and I think I want to set a goal to have this thing on the road early February, just in time for autocross to start back up. I've been autocrossing my S3 and I love it, but I feel like this one would be infinitely more fun. Here's a video from my last autocross in the S3:

This was my third event ever, and I placed 2nd in novice to a hopped up Civic Type R. Felt really good about this run besides one spot where I could have been on the gas a little bit instead of coasting through.

edit: direct link if you're not seeing it above... https://youtu.be/rSoBiu-9OrU

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post
      I've been thinking about this more and more, and I think I want to set a goal to have this thing on the road early February, just in time for autocross to start back up. I've been autocrossing my S3 and I love it, but I feel like this one would be infinitely more fun. Here's a video from my last autocross in the S3:

This was my third event ever, and I placed 2nd in novice to a hopped up Civic Type R. Felt really good about this run besides one spot where I could have been on the gas a little bit instead of coasting through.

edit: direct link if you're not seeing it above... https://youtu.be/rSoBiu-9OrU
      Yeah, it's good to set timelines to light a fire under your ass. I wish I could have my swap done by February, but I've got some major expenses and work left.

That S3 looks fun.

Youtube embeds don't work here for some reason, so what I was doing was just posting a video cover image and making it a link
      Last edited by DividedBeing; 12-02-2020, 08:39 AM.
      91 318i LS Swap In Progress - Build Thread

Divided Being Motorsports - Youtube Channel / Build Log

www.dividedbeing.com

Successful Transactions With : AWDBOB

Comment

Originally posted by DividedBeing View Post

Yeah, it's good to set timelines to light a fire under your ass. I wish I could have my swap done by February, but I've got some major expenses and work left.

That S3 looks fun.

Youtube embeds don't work here for some reason, so what I was doing was just posting a video cover image and making it a link
        The embeds work if you use the HTTP site instead of HTTPS, but I included the link for those who still use HTTPS.

Comment

Pressed in the rear wheel bearings and Delrin rear trailing arm bushings today, just a quick project to start the day.

Comment

The embeds work if you use the HTTP site instead of HTTPS, but I included the link for those who still use HTTPS.
            Ahh, gotcha.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Pressed in the rear wheel bearings and Delrin rear trailing arm bushings today, just a quick project to start the day.
              Have you used Delrin for a street car before? I'm going to pick up a full set of bushings from garagistic and couldn't decide between Delrin and 95a.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Originally posted by DividedBeing View Post

Have you used Delrin for a street car before? I'm going to pick up a full set of bushings from garagistic and couldn't decide between Delrin and 95a.
                No, but this car is going to be minimally streetable Only enough to get it inspected so it's eligible for street classes like XS in SCCA autocross.

Comment

No, but this car is going to be minimally streetable Only enough to get it inspected so it's eligible for street classes like XS in SCCA autocross.
                  Heh, mine's gonna be minimally streetable as well with the welded diff and everything. Might just go after the delrin but I should read up on it more lol.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

I've used poly bushings in the past, don't like how they wear out. I feel like Delrin should be better, but we'll see.

Comment

Spent some time today working on the diff and rear hubs.

Cleaned up the rear hubs with a wire wheel:

Went to swap the rear cover from the E36 M3 dual ear diff to the 4.10 LSD that's going into the E30.

Sadly, I found that the E30 speedo reluctor wheel was larger than the E36 one, so had to swap the E36 one onto the E30 diff.

E30 4.10 LSD inside:

E36 M3 3.23 LSD inside:

E30 diff with E36 reluctor on:

And that's where I'm at at the moment. The axle seals won't be here till Monday, doesn't make sense to put this back together till I can put the seals in.

I also disassembled the rear subframe that came out of the E30, will save all those parts for reinforcing later, and they'll go into my other E30.

Comment

Parts are showing up!

Here's the Z3M rear brake dust shields, they're huge!

And the Z4 rear rotors:

And the Brembo ceramic pads:

Got some other bits and bobs not worth taking pics of. More coming.

Comment

Bought this today to help crack some nuts on the BMW. Had to remove an axle nut, and my air impact wouldn't cut it. This thing knocked it right off!

Comment

Disassembled the rear brakes from the original trailing arms... the brakes were in pretty bad shape

Comment

Ordered up a bunch of steel for the rear tire well delete, as well as for the dual ear rear diff mounting/reinforcement. Going to try to copy this setup:

Can see the build thread here if you're not familiar with it:

I also ordered a welding gas tank so I don't have to pay tank rent anymore, that will be here next week, so I want to get as much done on the fab minus welding as I can, so when the welder gets here I'll be ready to weld.

Comment

Got most of the steel I need to do that dual ear rear diff mount:

Also got the diff together besides one output flange:

I didn't have the energy to get the other output flange off the CV axle... I spent at least half an hour trying to hammer the CV axle out of the hub/trailing arm, but it's just frozen, completely stuck. I used penetrating fluid too, just didn't budge. That side also has no E-brake components. I'm glad I have a spare E30 though, will grab the parts I need off that.

Comment

Working...
                                X