M60 crank, no fire, no injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 crank, no fire, no injectors

Finally to the point of test firing this thing. I don't know why I thought this would go smoothly. I am not getting a signal to the fuel pump relay, no injectors fire and no spark. I checked the injectors with a noid light, they are getting voltage but no fire control. I tested the crank sensor (this thing ran a year ago on a 484 DME in the 740) and it ohmed out at 498. Spec is 540 +/- 10% which would be 486 so it's close, but technically within spec. I am guessing when a crank sensor goes... it really goes.

What am I missing here? I'm running an ebay 404 DME with a DUDMD chip in it, I suppose the DME could be a brick, but that seems unlikely. Does the DME need to see an O2 sensor hooked up to fire? I wouldn't think so. I do not have O2 hooked up but everything else is there.
    1985 325e -> M60 swap project
    1983 GTV6
    1974 X1/9

Correct, usually the CPS is either working or not - I have had intermittent issues only when there was physical damage on the wire from a water pump pulley etc.

Did you test the ohms at the ECU connector, or at the sensor pigtail?
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Put the stock chip back in the DME if you have it. Some late production DMEs need the chip 'mated' for it to work correctly. If you look near the end of my thread I have a post where I went through this issue with my tuned chip.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
        Put the stock chip back in the DME if you have it. Some late production DMEs need the chip 'mated' for it to work correctly. If you look near the end of my thread I have a post where I went through this issue with my tuned chip.
        That was going to be my next try, although I did order a El Cheapo CPS just to waste money. I absolutely despise throwing parts at a problem. I tried the old 484 DME, but I am guessing it freaked out and didnt fire because there is EWS business going on.
        1983 GTV6
        1974 X1/9

Comment

Here's the post I was referring to: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...49#post6983749

The car cranked very strongly but made no attempt to fire.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

I swapped the stock B30 chip back in, it fired right up. I something weird going on with the DME, I got with DUDMD and he's sending over a silver label 404 chip, according to the info that was on the B30 stock chip. Fingers crossed.
            1983 GTV6
            1974 X1/9

Comment

What's the last 7 characters of the VIN on the DME that you have?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

What's the last 7 characters of the VIN on the DME that you have?
                GE54311

I looked at the B30 chip that was in it (factory) and gave the # to DUDMD, he said it corresponded with a silver label 404, whatever that means. Sent me a new chip. Just test fired it on the new DUDMD chip and worked like a charm. Can't figure out why my fuel pump relay won't trigger off the ECM now, so for now I have to jumper it to fire. Hooking cooling system up this weekend so I can run it for more than 20 seconds so I can screw with it more.
                1983 GTV6
                1974 X1/9

Comment

Still can't get the fuel pumps to kick without using a jumper. Do BMW's do a quick prime when 1st turning the ign to ON like Fords and some other makes do, or do they not energize the pump until the DME see's RPMs on the crank sensor? I'm pretty sure the ETM shows the relay trigger as 12v out... or is the trigger the ground on the relay?
                  1983 GTV6
                  1974 X1/9

Comment

It primes in first position.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                    Transaction feedback
                    - jpod999

Comment

It primes in first position.
                      Yeah, so definitely something effed up. It's kicking the ECM relay on, don't know about the O2 relay, don't have that wired up yet. But won't trigger the fuel pump. I guess I need to look for continuity next. Hell, could be a dead relay I suppose, but it's brand new.
                      1983 GTV6
                      1974 X1/9

Comment

Check continuity between the DME and the relay?
                        I think it's pin 13 on the DME side.

Comment

Originally posted by iliad View Post
                          Check continuity between the DME and the relay?
                          I think it's pin 13 on the DME side.
                          I had continuity, I read the ETM wrong and had the trigger coming from the DME as 12v, not the ground. Revised my wiring FP relay gets 12v from ECM relay, DME to relay ground. Bingo, fuel.
                          1983 GTV6
                          1974 X1/9

Comment

Nice, glad you got it sorted!

Comment

Originally posted by iliad View Post
                              Nice, glad you got it sorted!
                              Yes, hopefully lots of progress this weekend.
                              1983 GTV6
                              1974 X1/9

Comment

Working...
                              X