No announcement yet.

S52 Engine Screeching Noise Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you do replace the lifters, I'd keep the same tray.
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
      I'd try to blast through whatever crud is there with some carb cleaner or something similarly strong. Soak a bit then blast it through with some compressed air.
      Rinse and repeat and hopefully it will come back.

Alternatively you can remove the clip that holds the ball and spring. I'm not sure how tight it's going to be/if you risk damaging the retaining piece - this pic is from one that wasn't seated right from the factory that I managed to work loose with a pick. The ball and spring are tiny so be careful not to lose them

Okay I will do that thank you!

Comment

I put the head back on and started it, same noise. I pressed in on the clutch and it went away. So I knew it had to be in the clutch. I removed the transmission replaced the pilot bearing and throw out bearing, re-installed all the clutch parts. Nothing looked damaged and the only thing not replaced was the clutch fork and the slave cylinder.

Comment

The sound sounds at engine RPM and not 1/2 speed from cams / valve train.

Are your crank hub bolts too long?
          Last edited by moatilliatta; 07-20-2021, 02:54 AM.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
            The sound sounds at engine RPM and not 1/2 speed from cams / valve train.

Are you’re crank hub bolts too long?
            I haven't touched them. When I press in on the clutch the noise goes away, but the noise gets worse when the car heats up.

Comment

Or flywheel bolts?

Could be thrust bearing related.

Sounds pretty harsh for a pilot bearing.

What happens in gear rolling?

Try digging around with a stethoscope?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

I know this is a lot of work but have you run the engine with the transmission out of the car? If the noise is still present then remove the clutch disc + PP....still present then remove the flywheel....and go from there.

Still curious what transmission set-up is in the car. Doesn't the back side of the M20/G260 flywheel rub the M5x/S5x oil pan without machining the back of the flywheel slightly?

Comment

Originally posted by mjweimer View Post
                  I know this is a lot of work but have you run the engine with the transmission out of the car? If the noise is still present then remove the clutch disc + PP....still present then remove the flywheel....and go from there.

Still curious what transmission set-up is in the car. Doesn't the back side of the M20/G260 flywheel rub the M5x/S5x oil pan without machining the back of the flywheel slightly?
                  I haven’t tried starting when the transmission is out. The transmission is a 330i 5spd ZF. I looked up my clutch kit specs and I may of purchased the wrong clutch so maybe that’s the culprit? The clutch and flywheel installed now is for a M54. It’s a single mass flywheel and clutch from Valeo. From what I read some people use a 228mm flywheel setup but then others say it needs to be the E36 M3 clutch and pressure plate. The car moves back and forth and the noise always goes away when the clutch is pressed in but starts again in gear and at idle.

This is the clutch I have in it https://www.ecstuning.com/b-valeo-pa.../52401220~val/
                  Last edited by Lights; 07-20-2021, 03:52 PM.

Comment

I'm having the same problem and this thread really saved me money i was about to buy another tranny but now i will keep my focus on the flywheel, clutch set up and both pilot and release bearings.

Maybe it is block to transmission alignment problem or clutch to input shaft alignment... Since m5x sets on diffrent angle in e30s.

Comment

Originally posted by ADEN View Post
                      I'm having the same problem and this thread really saved me money i was about to buy another tranny but now i will keep my focus on the flywheel, clutch set up and both pilot and release bearings.

Maybe it is block to transmission alignment problem or clutch to input shaft alignment... Since m5x sets on diffrent angle in e30s.
                      I'm thinking the input shaft on the transmission could be messed up or the flywheel and clutch setup won't work. I can't find anywhere about anyone using a M54 330i E46 flywheel and clutch on an S52.

The other thing I read is the slave cylinder has a push rod that has different lengths for different engines but I can't see how that would be making the noise unless its grinding/ rattling against the clutch fork.

Comment

Originally posted by Lights View Post

I'm thinking the input shaft on the transmission could be messed up or the flywheel and clutch setup won't work. I can't find anywhere about anyone using a M54 330i E46 flywheel and clutch on an S52.

The other thing I read is the slave cylinder has a push rod that has different lengths for different engines but I can't see how that would be making the noise unless its grinding/ rattling against the clutch fork.

For your case push rod thing if it is touching the release bearing you would feel it by gears slipping or car starts moving when your foot at the top of the pedal travel.

If you can get your hands on a used DMF with clutch kit i think m5x came with DMF and read that people who converted to single mass complained some issues including noises.
                        Last edited by ADEN; 07-21-2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ADEN View Post

For your case push rod thing if it is touching the release bearing you would feel it by gears slipping or car starts moving when your foot at the top of the pedal travel.

If you can get your hands on a used DMF with clutch kit i think m5x came with DMF and read that people who converted to single mass complained some issues including noises.
                          Do you think the noise is just normal noise from the single mass flywheel its a strange squealing noise ? It gets significantly louder when it starts to heat up, I've never heard any clutch this loud but I hope its just normal, I was going to take off the slave and then start the car to see if it goes away. Do you know if the M54 330i Single mass clutch and flywheel kit I got from Valeo is compatible with the S52? That's the one I have in it now.

Comment

Working...
                          X