Power Steering Leak at 22mm Banjo Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Steering Leak at 22mm Banjo Bolt

I replaced the crush washers yesterday at the 22mm banjo bolt on my '91 325iX and it is still leaking slightly. I got it as tight as I could with a box wrench (bolt is pretty thin for using a socket). I read you shouldn't have to get it super torqued to have it not leak, so I don't want to overdo it.

Anything else I should try? Is replacing the bolt itself worthwhile?

Originally posted by Chebyshev View Post
    I replaced the crush washers yesterday at the 22mm banjo bolt on my '91 325iX and it is still leaking slightly. I got it as tight as I could with a box wrench (bolt is pretty thin for using a socket). I read you shouldn't have to get it super torqued to have it not leak, so I don't want to overdo it.

Anything else I should try? Is replacing the bolt itself worthwhile?
    were the washers brass or aluminum ? the brass washers work better than the aluminum. i notice that the replacements for the brass washers have become aluminum. i find the aluminum leak, and the brass won't.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post

were the washers brass or aluminum ? the brass washers work better than the aluminum. i notice that the replacements for the brass washers have become aluminum. i find the aluminum leak, and the brass won't.
      I've never heard of using brass - did you mean copper?

I used https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nz-32411093597. There's a CU in the designation, but I don't know if that means the whole thing is copper or what. They aren't copper colored for sure.

I just ordered some generic 16mm ID copper ones from Amazon and I'll try those this weekend.

Comment

I've never heard of using brass - did you mean copper?

I used https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...nz-32411093597. There's a CU in the designation, but I don't know if that means the whole thing is copper or what. They aren't copper colored for sure.

I just ordered some generic 16mm ID copper ones from Amazon and I'll try those this weekend.

yeah the originals are probably copper. they are actually listed as gaskets, and not washers. i see realoem lists them with both materials, so you probably have to specify when ordering. if you buy a gasket kit, they will show up as aluminum. if you have the originals, try to replace with the same type.

copper ones can often be annealed and reused. aluminum can't.

edit : to be clear - i prefer the copper. it has it's own part number. order it that way or pull the spec on the washer and order it generic by spec.

Comment

Well what was in there was leaking so that's why I took it apart to begin with. The ones in there were silver colored so maybe they were aluminum. Hopefully the Amazon copper ones work out.

Thanks for the info!

Comment

number three and number six here
            they are interchangeable.

edit : whatever you order will need to be an exact fit. a generic washer may not work.

reach out to FCP. by their description it sounds like you paid for the premium product and got the cheapie. i've been having issues with FCP lately. they got some hardware i ordered incorrect as well. plus their shipper is atrocious and doubles the charges at the door before they will deliver.
            Last edited by 82eye; 10-08-2021, 06:12 AM.

Comment

It sure seems like RealOEM has it wrong in this case. Those are marked as 14X20 washers, but the banjo bolt (#7) is M16. The top banjo bolt (#2) is M14, so the 14mm washers would be right for that bolt.

Comment

It sure seems like RealOEM has it wrong in this case. Those are marked as 14X20 washers, but the banjo bolt (#7) is M16. The top banjo bolt (#2) is M14, so the 14mm washers would be right for that bolt.

yeah i see two sizes of banjo bolts listed as well. 14 and 16. it looks like there is a number 8 missing from the parts description, which should be the 16mm gasket. it also shows the 16mm banjo with a 14mm washer.

Comment

16x22 CUSN crush washers are 32411093597
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

The Amazon 16mm copper washers didn't work, so I ordered some pressure sealing washers from McMaste-Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/pressure-sealing-washers/

We'll see if those work. I'm wondering if my banjo bolt itself is hosed, but I want to change one thing at a time so I figure out what the problem actually was.

Comment

Before you put it back together, get a good luck at the sealing surfaces of the pump and the banjo fitting. If they aren't both smooth, it will never seal.

Comment

inspect the surface of the pump then a new bolt and washers and move on with life
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                        X