Tips for sport seat shock replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for sport seat shock replacement?

I'm planning to replace the shocks in my sport seat. I found a good youtube video that goes over the process. One part covers the difficulty of mounting a new shock while it's depressed. Since it's hard to depress the new shocks by hand, this guy uses a vice and clamp to install the new shock:
    https://youtu.be/iDRvaW667FE?t=286 (~4m50sec in)

Anyone ever deal with these and know of a better way? I don't have the same tools readily available, so I'm trying to look for alternatives.

The guy in the video has the correct process but perhaps a little overkill with the tools he used. I was always able to use a common Irwin quick grip clamp to get the job done and I didn't have to modify the clamp. I'm sure most clamps that are large enough will do the trick

If you dont have a clamp then yeah, it's going to be a pain in the ass

Comment

I used a quick grip clamp to do mine, wasn't too hard once I got the hang of it. IIRC the first clamp I tried using wasn't strong enough so had to use some stronger ones. Also helps if you put the seat in a position such that the shocks aren't compressed all the way.

Comment

Lots of threads about this with helpful hints that will answer all your questions. Do a search. One is active right now in the DIY section.
        1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

I did this years ago with a tip from Kevin from Creative Options. Buy the Irwin grip clamp, 600lbs and easy as butter. The guy in the video complicated it with too many things.
          Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
          BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

In case you're still undecided...

Irwin quick grip clamp all the way.
            Plus you can use it around the home for other tasks.
            E30 320i vert
            But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post
              In case you're still undecided...

Irwin quick grip clamp all the way.
              Plus you can use it around the home for other tasks.
              I second that! Made the job so much easier and I use it all of the time for other projects around the house.
              sigpic84 325e

Comment

Working...
              X