Driveline angle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveline angle

Hello everyone, I'm not sure if I'm over thinking this but I've got some questions about driveline/ driveshaft angles. I'm currently in the middle of swapping in a zf trans onto my m20. Since nobody makes a trans cross member for this particular swap I made one.

I used a cell phone app called "bubble level, spirit level" to measure the pinion angle, I consistently got a reading of 2.0 degrees. Mind you, my car is on jack stands and nothing is really level. From my understanding of how this is supposed to work, the transmission should be close to 2.0 as well, problem is, best I could get was 2.7 measuring off the flats on the output shaft. Any higher and I make contact with the trans tunnel.

Also I'll be running the e36 driveshaft, which has the center bearing before the first u joint, the e30 driveshaft did not.

Any advice/ input? TIA.
    Attached Files

trans guibo must have zero angle

Comment

zf on m20 should use the same trans mount as g260 on m5x/s5x. have a look at the garagistic mount. it should have all that worked out as far as driveline angle etc. the condition of your motor mounts will also have an effect.

Comment

Originally posted by hasa View Post
        trans guibo must have zero angle
        I'm on board with this, today I actually got a more traditional angle gauge and did some checking. I measured the flats where the CSB mounts onto and my output flange and found them to be both pretty close to 2.5 degrees. I think I'm happy with this.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
          zf on m20 should use the same trans mount as g260 on m5x/s5x. have a look at the garagistic mount. it should have all that worked out as far as driveline angle etc. the condition of your motor mounts will also have an effect.
          I don't think this is accurate. Unless you've done it yourself? I haven't found anyone confirm this, read it a few times but nobody seems confident. I kinda wish it was, my mount is far from impressive and it was my first go on my TIG welder. I think when I'm really bored one day and have some time (when will this be?) I'll redo the mount out of AL. For now I wan't this car out of my garage!

Comment

This is what you want. ( the setup on the right side ).

Click image for larger version  Name:	angle.jpg Views:	0 Size:	41.4 KB ID:	10099323

Comment

Originally posted by hopeful View Post

I don't think this is accurate. Unless you've done it yourself? I haven't found anyone confirm this, read it a few times but nobody seems confident. I kinda wish it was, my mount is far from impressive and it was my first go on my TIG welder. I think when I'm really bored one day and have some time (when will this be?) I'll redo the mount out of AL. For now I wan't this car out of my garage!

i'd seen it done in sweden yrs ago. they got parts out of the netherlands, not from garagistic. i assumed the garagistic parts would be equivalent, but you are right, i could be dead wrong on that. i would suggest reaching out to garagistic.

edit : i don't know what they used for a driveshaft
              Last edited by 82eye; 07-18-2023, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X