Early vs Late model chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early vs Late model chassis

i was roaming around on this forum and was curious to find out if there were any major differences in the early to late model chassis. I am aware of the minor differences such as tail lights are different, gas tank is different, fender wells are different etc etc. but are there any real MAJOR differences between early and late model chassis in terms of structure?

All the O.G.'s get to chip in on this one :) and if there isn't any MAJOR differences why don't we make this a consolidated thread of all the differences, i can go back through and pick all the confirmed differences and list them here in this first post!

so far early vs late differences are:

- early has higher rear fender arches

- early has different rear valence

- early has different bumpers (metal diving boards)

- early model has different gas tank (14.5 as opposed to 16 something gallons in late model i believe)

-
    Last edited by ApexGoblin; 01-11-2012, 01:37 PM.

apexgoblin - versteht nicht jeder. Ist auch besser so!

No major differences between early and facelift models. It was just that...a facelift. Core supports, valances and the protruding rear valance on the facelift models changed but other than that, nothing critical structurally. You can take an early model and do a facelift without too much work. It's all bolt on except for the rear lower valance.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

i think the windshields are different. realoem lists different part numbers for glass and gaskets

Comment

that may be because they changed the black diffusion pattern. the windshields are the same.

the actual chassis differences are the rear wheel arches being lower and the rear valence.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

what do you mean diffusion pattern? im an idiot

Comment

Originally posted by ApexGoblin View Post
            i was roaming around on this forum and was curious to find out if there were any major differences in the early to late model chassis. I am aware of the minor differences such as tail lights are different, gas tank is different, fender wells are different etc etc. but are there any real MAJOR differences between early and late model chassis in terms of structure?

All the O.G.'s get to chip in on this one :) and if there isn't any MAJOR differences why don't we make this a consolidated thread of all the differences, i can go back through and pick all the confirmed differences and list them here in this first post!

so far early vs late differences are:

- early has higher rear fender arches

- early has different rear valence

- early has different bumpers (metal diving boards)

- early model has different gas tank (14.5 as opposed to 16 something gallons in late model i believe)

-
            There were little differences here and there, like the radiator core supports with extra tabs on the bottom OR specific brackets for expansion tanks under the hood specific to models. There were also different trailing arms / strut housings , brakes, metal/vs plastic pedals...but the main/core components still the same other than the rear of the car as you noted.

There were also even smaller tanks than 14.5 in the very early cars.
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Window Regulators are different.
              sigpic

Comment

don't the early early models also have smaller wheel bearings?

Comment

No.. smaller brakes/swaybars yes. But all these aren't exactly MAJOR/CORe components?

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Seat belt latch/ releaser is different. I prefer the early model anyway, they dont jam up as easy as the late model ones.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                      No.. smaller brakes/swaybars yes. But all these aren't exactly MAJOR/CORe components?
                      true they arent, but i said well if there wasn't any MAJOR/CORE component difference we might as well make a consolidated list of what is different for all the newbies who are wondering

Comment

just checked and 84-85 325e had a smaller 72mm bearing rather than the standard 75mm bearing on most e30 models

Comment

And possibly 83-84 318i as well. Then you have iX specific stuff, and M3 stuff.

All this been covered, and realoem.com is good at finding these things :)

Comment

At what point did they switch from 14.5 gallon tanks to 16.4? For the year I've owned this car, I've been operating under the assumption it was a 14.5 gallon tank...
                            '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

Doesn't the 83 318i have a completely different rear seat, and the chassis part that it bolts to higher? I thought I saw that on a thread here.
                              1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                              You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Working...
                              X