Skid plates for the E30.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bokes
    oil pan on my 318is just got cracked. wasn't my fault though. dropped the car off at Midas because i was at work and needed some stuff done to it before a long drive. needless to say the mechanic took it out for a spin and wrecked it.

:(

car needs a new radiator, oil pan, steering rack, control arms, tie rods, basketweave wheel, new tires all around, water pump (wtf?), and a new driver side front fender.
    Midas is paying?

I am in Mexico, the roads suck. There are speedbumps in the middle of streets that would be considered near freeways in the states, they use them instead of stopsigns/traffic lights.

There is no warning and little to no light.(at night) This accounts for one. The second was at the end of a freeway (undocumented) I was going 30kph and suddenly boom a 2 foot speedbump shaped berm (for lack of a better word) The third was due to the accident which put me up a curb.

Understand?

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
      Hop a curb?
      Probably 2
      91 m3

Comment

In my city there are a lot of speed bumps, try like a half dozen a parking lot. I probably have scraped my oil pan about 200 times and there is still a lot of it left. There was only one time that I thought that I broke it, and damn do I wish I had video of when my car was going through the air at 75mph over a hill.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Didn't you sell your E30 to your brother Bokes?

Originally posted by Ziggens96
          dead cats? hohoho...
          nono..catalytic convertor

the dead animals were mostly racoons

Comment

Originally posted by Bokes
            oil pan on my 318is just got cracked. wasn't my fault though. dropped the car off at Midas because i was at work and needed some stuff done to it before a long drive. needless to say the mechanic took it out for a spin and wrecked it.

:(

car needs a new radiator, oil pan, steering rack, control arms, tie rods, basketweave wheel, new tires all around, water pump (wtf?), and a new driver side front fender.

I HATE MIDAS

they quoted me 300$ for my exhaust and gave me a bill for 600 when they were done. and in regards to the skid plates... well iv smacked off 3 or 4 of the oil pans, and then it cause the engine to go, then i got a big beefy skid plate custom made for about 150$ canadian installed and painted and iv never had a problem since:)

Comment

i mean seriously, how low do you have to be?

(equate ;))

Comment

roads in nyc suck ive killed one oil pan

maybe you guys with noncracked/damaged oilpans must live in areas with nice smooth roads. potholes run rampant.
                Originally posted by ebelements
                Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

Originally posted by xLibelle
                  i mean seriously, how low do you have to be?

(equate ;))

wow for a second there i thought that was a picture of where it happend to me... hahaha the same thing happend to me... at about 2 in the morning man hole came outta nowhere

Comment

I think I'm probably sitting lower than 99% of the people here, it really sucks because even going sideways causes scraping at time. I have to drive over these huge speed humps (not called bumps, they actually are speed humps) daily and no matter how slow I go I still scrape a little. I am assuming the hits over time caused it to crack since I didnt hit anything the night before when it apparently happened. Getting it replaced right now for $404, would have the car back, but the idiots ordered the gasket instead of the actual oil pan. Even though they had about 10 gaskets in stock. Oh well. Anyone have the PN from the dealer? I may end up just getting one custom fabbed to save clearance.

Comment

I'm just not getting why there is such a big issue with the clearance from the skidplate... I mean there is a 1" gap between the sump and the skid plate... Ur guys cars can't seriously be that low...

Comment

-- M42 oil pans are very low. Even with stock height you cannot get a floor jack underneath some.
                        -- If your oil pan has scraped a lot of times, one day it will develop a stress crack and start leaking.
                        -- If your car is low one day you will become victim to a raised manhole or some ungodly sized pothole or speed bump.
                        -- Changing an upper and lower oil pan after a mishap shows you how bad your car impacted an object
                        -- All that angled driveway climbing and skills does you no good when you are driving in the city and you have one of those construction metal slabs that you cannot avoid without causing an accident.
                        -- Dips in the road which you are unaware of LOVE your oil pan.
                        -- The roads you drive on and your driving habits will determine how long your oil pan will last.

Comment

FYI my e36 XBRACE hangs like ~1.5in lower then my oil pan. Haven't scrapped that on anything yet either. I tuck tire in the front biotches.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by kowalski
                            I HATE MIDAS

they quoted me 300$ for my exhaust and gave me a bill for 600 when they were done. and in regards to the skid plates... well iv smacked off 3 or 4 of the oil pans, and then it cause the engine to go, then i got a big beefy skid plate custom made for about 150$ canadian installed and painted and iv never had a problem since:)
                            Can you snap some pictures of your custom skid plate?

I have almost 4 inches of clearence between the ground and the bottom of my oil pan. I have no idea what brand of springs were put on this car, they were there when I bought it and just have a part number on them. I installed some new struts/shocks cause the old ones were shot but I think I may change these springs out too.
                            Eric
                            85 325e M50 and auto to manual transmission conversion...

Comment

Originally posted by kowalski
                              wow for a second there i thought that was a picture of where it happend to me... hahaha the same thing happend to me... at about 2 in the morning man hole came outta nowhere
                              I near got rear ended yesterday avoiding something like that, guy behind me went into the shoulder.

Not my fault.

Sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                                FYI my e36 XBRACE hangs like ~1.5in lower then my oil pan. Haven't scrapped that on anything yet either. I tuck tire in the front biotches.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Working...
                                X