Grease and crap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grease and crap

When I removed valve cover this is what I found. This is on my E46.

It's a lot of old grease and crap. Is that normal? What's the best way to clean it all up.
    Thanx.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

That is a sign of too long an interval between oil/filter changes for the usual driving conditions (probably mostly urban cycles). A series of additions of a flush compound, driving a hundred miles or so and an oil/filter change should get a lot of it out.

I presume the oil has been being changed at the factory intervals (15-18k). Reduce that interval to no more than 7.5k and try to get the car on the highway at least once a week for 30 minutes.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

that is absolutely disgusting! i would pour some stuff into the oil that is designed to thin and remove gunk, drive it for a few minutes, then drain EVERYTHING out and refill with oil. if it were my car i would probably do that again in a couple hundred miles and then stick to 3.5k intervals for standard oil and 7k for synthetic.

good luck!
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

holy crap. that is scary looking.

You need to do more frequent oil changes.

Comment

Ya thats some engine abuse for sure
          sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
          The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

Typical e46 oil change interval issue there. My wife's car was exactly the same.
            I used a rubber spatula and scraped all I could out before doing an oil change every thousand kilometers with a flush compound, for 5 thousand kilometers.
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

whoa.. both cool and scary looking..
              -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

You got sludge.

Be careful if you decide to touch it- globs can plug up things.
                Especially lifter orifices...

More long trips, more frequent changes.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Automatic transmission fluid is a good cleaner for this sort of thing. Add a quart of it to the oil (subtracting 1 quart of oil from the total) and run it for a week or two, then change the oil again. May want to do this a few times considering how bad it is. But some cheap oil to do the flush, makes things a lot more cost effective. Running cheap oil for a short period of time won't hurt anything.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                    Automatic transmission fluid is a good cleaner for this sort of thing. Add a quart of it to the oil (subtracting 1 quart of oil from the total) and run it for a week or two, then change the oil again. May want to do this a few times considering how bad it is. But some cheap oil to do the flush, makes things a lot more cost effective. Running cheap oil for a short period of time won't hurt anything.
                    I agrees with everything except the use of cheap oil (and filter). The ATF is going to affect the oil's lubricating properties, so you want the right oil (and filter) in the engine to minimize the wear.
                    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

While I do agree a bit, the short amount of time the oil will be in the engine is not going to do anything. As long as you use the correct weight oil, a cheaper brand like Pennzoil or even your auto parts store brand will lubricate well enough. I mean, we are only talking a few hundred miles, not thousands.

Comment

Working...
                      X