Sealant for windshield gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sealant for windshield gasket

I am looking for the material that seals the windshield flange to the windshield
    gasket. It is a black sticky substance covered with plastic. I do not see it listed on RealOEM. Please let me know where to purchase and what it is called. Thanks!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0878.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	7231134

AFAIK there is no sealant. Could be wrong, but I've never seen it before.

looks like somebody tried to fix a leaky window.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have 4 E30s and all of them have this on the lower part of the front windshield flange. I am starting to re-assemble one that was stripped and color changed. This is tough to get off but the plastic keeps it from sticking to the gasket.

Comment

The gasket I believe is 2 pieces. No sealant is required.

Comment

The only e30 with a bonded windshield is the M3, all others are the locking gasket type.

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
          HSAX Instructor

Comment

I just replaced the rear window seal because it was leaking. No sealant on that one. The new seal leaks also so I'm not sure what to do now.

Comment

I looked everywhere I could think of and couldn't find it either.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

It's commonly called windo weld...

Buy 3M 3M8611 5/16" Round Windo-Weld Ribbon Sealer online at DKHardware.com. Our Automotive Hardware category offers a great selection of Automotive Glass Repair and Scratch Polishing Systems products at the best price!

I've parted out a number of e30s and presently own four. I've never pulled or changed a window, front or rear, with any type of sealant applied to it.
                Suspension tips here...
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/album.php?albumid=757

sigpic

Comment

The only time I've seen that sealant used is when an old gasket has been removed and then reinstalled.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Just received and email back from Guten Parts + Service. Said that they had seen it used quite a bit but is NLA. Called a car glass installer with 30+ years in the business and was told that he saw it on some but not all of the old BMWs and he had not seen the product in years. It was called butyl tape. It was used if a flange was not perfectly straight or if it had a little wavy section to fill any gaps. They are using a rope type sealant now that lays in the grove of the window seal to fill any voids if needed. Thanks for the help.

Comment

When we stripped Klaus for paint, there was that same butyl tape across the whole lower edge, just like in the pic.
                      Originally posted by kronus
                      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

butyl tape has not been used in years because its actually illegal to use for windshield installation. its ok to use on rubber gasket windows to stop leaks but not for bonded applications. you can still purchase it, its known as body caulk. DO NOT use silicone or anything else if you have a leaky window, unless you enjoy making things worse.

comes like this:

Comment

I have the same butyl crap on my original windshield. Also it looks like my gasket was urethaned to the top portion of the frame on the car AND some adhesive was used all around to set the glass. Butyl tape on the bottom makes sense, I have zero rust on my pinch welds etc.
                          What do you guys thing about the other urethane crap. I was under the impression its not needed for this type of gasket. Is my old gasket still reusable? I ordered new gasket to be on the safe side. Do I need to install it with some glue crap as OEM did? I'm pretty sure this was OEM fix. Could it be that BMW leak tested the car and as a result these are their fixes?

first two pics are the gasket lips that go toward the body, other two are the side against the glass

Click image for larger version  Name:	image1-4.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	65.0 KB ID:	9884385
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image2-2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	56.1 KB ID:	9884387
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	image1-5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	41.0 KB ID:	9884388 Click image for larger version  Name:	image2-3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	45.3 KB ID:	9884390
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by zaq123; 11-10-2019, 04:43 AM.

Comment

When I had my windshield replaced, I removed the old want as I wanted to be sure the base was clean and not rusted. No sealant at all. When the guy installed the new windshield he did use sealant between the glass and the gasket.
                            2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
                            X