early model walbro pump conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

early model walbro pump conversion

So my external pump is whining and I can feel it cutting out intermediately while driving on the high way so I want to swap out my in tank pump with the walbro 255.

I already read the DIY thread but that is for the 88+ models with the single pump. a few guys touched on the duel pump topic conversion but nothing in depth.

I just need to know what fuel lines go where and if I have to do anything with the wiring? also im not sure how to delete the inline pump? just take it out and connect the two lines?

any help is appreciated.
    M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

you should be able to take out the inline pump by connecting the two lines (you could relocate the fuel filter to the spot where the in-tank pump was), then tape off the wires so they don't short. next, replace your in tank pump with the walboro and you should be golden!

also, i just posted something about the name of an advance auto chinese pump that is actually a re-branded walboro 255LPH pump for $60.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

i'm not 100% positive but i believe there is more to it than just removing the inline pump.

i attempted this with a walbro as an in-tank, removed the inline and ran a coupler. No dice.

i have a 1984 318i, so here were my attempts:
      1) walbro in tank + bosch inline = overloaded bosch inline
      2) walbro in tank + coupler (inline removed) = no fuel
      3) low pressure in tank + bosch inline = perfect
      sigpic

Comment

I have not attempted this at all, but will sometime soon. I think what you are fighting is the dme signal for the inline pump needs to be brought over to the new in tank pump. I will be doing this later this summer.
        sigpic

Comment

I am in the middle of this right now, I didn't even think about it and bought a walbro.

So you just connect the two lines? If you're running MS would this be an issue?
          Or what is the correct way to go about deleting the external?

Schwarz 1985 325e

Comment

Bump on this. Would like to know the proper procedure as my external is whining sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
              I have not attempted this at all, but will sometime soon. I think what you are fighting is the dme signal for the inline pump needs to be brought over to the new in tank pump. I will be doing this later this summer.
              ahhhhhhhh, i didn't even think about the dme looking for the inline pump. do the in-tank and inline pumps use the same voltage/amps/other-electrical-crap?
              sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I also have interest in this.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I need to replace mine as well
                  Now why can't we just use a inline walbro?
                  IG- nv_e30

Comment

I was actually thinking about doing this tomorrow. If I end up doing it I will take a bunch of pictures and stuff.

The size of the line on the walboro pump is different than in the tank, i.e. walbro is like 8mm while the tank unit is 13mm (I think). Also, to remove the inline pump, the lines are the same way. One side is 13mm while the out is 8mm.

Take that with a grain of salt as that is just from looking at the stuff quickly.

Edit: I have an '87 325iS

Comment

My 87 only has a in tank fuel pump but has a fuel filter where the inline fuel pump would be.
                      My 85 has. Two pumps and the. Inline is whining.
                      Could my 87 325i been converted?

Comment

Originally posted by Van Westervelt View Post
                        There is no signal to the DME from the pump(s).

The challenge here will be dealing with the fuel supply hose. 8mm hoses/fittings are used on the later single pump systems, but the twin pump system has 10mm (or 12mm, don't remember which) hoses/fittings from the in-tank pump to the external pump.
                        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Also interested, my external pump is getting noisy. Sub'd.
                          Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                          You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

...and the 12mm line is not necessarily high pressure.

When I converted mine, I dropped the tank to change the fuel line.
                            The 12mm stuff was pretty brittle, too.

Also, the wire to the in- tank pump is pretty small gauge compared
                            to the high- pressure pump. But they are on the same physical circuit,
                            so I just extended the larger, bigger wire.

And reused the filter bracket.

That's all I remember,
                            t
                            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

So basically put in a later model fuel pump and replace 12mm line and upgrade wire?

Comment

Working...
                              X