Vibration on take off - what is the usual cause

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibration on take off - what is the usual cause

I get a vibration from the rear end when taking off from a stop. Other than that, vibration free. It has been doing it for quite a while now. It has not gotten any worse.

The most common cause is the CSB (center support bearing).

sigpic
    Originally posted by JinormusJ
    Don't buy an e30

They're stupid
    1989 325is Raged on then sold.
    1988 325 SETA 2DR Beaten to death, then parted.
    1988 325 SETA 4DR Parted.
    1990 325i Cabrio Daily'd, then stored 2 yrs ago.

Comment

How hard is this usually to replace? What is the normal process? Thanks.

Comment

Def your csb

Comment

you should do the guibo while you're at it. not very difficult to do at all.

Got driveshaft noise? Perhaps it's your center driveshaft bearing. If you're replacing your flex disc (below), you should check out this article as well.
          sigpic

Comment

Not hard to replace, can be done in a few hrs if you have all the right parts. Exhaust needs to come off at manifold, definitely do the flex disc if you havent done it or it looking tired. Check the centering bushing in the end of the driveline when you have it off the trans. They are a bitch to pull out. Muffler hangers are good to replace while your putting it back together.

Comment

I used an aftermarket csb when I changed my clutch three years ago. Just failed on me last month. You'll need snap ring pliers. For the center bushing, use a pilot bearing puller.
              Last edited by uturn; 07-28-2014, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
                You'll need snap ring pliers.
                +1 and make sure there are marks on your shaft... the driveshaft silly, alignment marks...
                sigpic
                Streetable poly mounts, trans mounts are here!
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...ght=streetable
                '94 318i
                '07 335i
                '11 X5
                '89 325ic m30b35

Comment

When you guys say the exhaust has to drop from the manifold, are you saying you can keep it in one piece otherwise? Do I just disconnect from the manifold? How hard is that? I'm thinking that it would likely be rusty. Any thoughts? This sounds like it could be the hardest part of the job.

Comment

Originally posted by clydesdale View Post
                    When you guys say the exhaust has to drop from the manifold, are you saying you can keep it in one piece otherwise? Do I just disconnect from the manifold? How hard is that? I'm thinking that it would likely be rusty. Any thoughts? This sounds like it could be the hardest part of the job.
                    Sounds harder than it is, IMO that is the easiest part. I have never had problems unbolting the exhaust at the header, usually the drive shaft is the piece that causes me problems.
                    1990 325i 5spd
                    09 135i 6spd m-sport package

Comment

Check the drive shaft u-joints for play. I had a similar situation, and my u-joints were bad. Ordered a new one from turner.

Comment

Usually you can just lower the exhaust down, keeping it attached at the manifolds. If the nuts/studs on the manifold are rusty (they usually are), there is a good chance you will break them trying to remove them. Then you have tow worry about removing a broken off exhaust stud that is seized into the manifold.

Make sure you pre-load the CSB as well.

Comment

What do you mean by pre-load the CSB as well?

The car is driven in the snow and salt, so I don't expect exhaust bolts to behave. I'll take a peek at what they look like.

Comment

Vibration on takeoff? what kind of "vibration" are you feeling and what are you doing to cause it?

I don't know how everyone assumes CSB, just because no info is given.
                            Originally posted by priapism
                            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                            Originally posted by shameson
                            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

The vibration is only in 1st and 2nd gear when taking off from a stop. If I roll into the throttle really slow, it won't vibrate. Once I am up to 15-20 mph I can then lay into it and it won't vibrate. That is probably because there is no real power left in this car. But, if I try to take off quick in 1st or 2nd, there is a driveline vibration that immediately goes away when I back off the throttle. I looked at the guibo and it does have some minor cracking.
                              My exhaust manifold stud bolts are rounded and rusted. They will be a nightmare. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X