M30 AFM/Injectors questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 AFM/Injectors questions

Hey guys, ive had my ix for a little over a year and a half now and i think its about time she got a little bit more juice goin to her. A buddy of mine(AVUS E30) told me that the m30 AFM and mustang 19lb injectors was the way to go. Does anyone know what is involved and if there is a lot to mess with would anyone be willing to do it for me and how much would they charge. I love to work on the car....but electrical isnt my thing so id rather have someone know what they are doing. So let me know whats up! Thanks guys!!

its all plug and play, no electrical expertise required.

the hardest part is pulling the injectors without squirting fuel all over you.
    : : 1984 318i : : PNW E30 Crew : : Sold!!
    Now becoming the R3vlimited Pro3 car
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=93780

Comment

i thought you had to swap the electronics from the m30 afm into the m20 afm???

Comment

And i want to get a chip for it....what are my options?? i want at least 30 hp and im kinda hoping i can get it there...thanks again

Comment

if you get a m30 afm with the last 3 part numbers ending in 027 there is nothing to swap. If you want a chip, go markd.
          Old and improved:

Comment

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but there is no way in heaven or hell that you'll up your horsepower (wheel or crank, either way) by THIRTY with an afm/injectors/chip jobby thingy...
            This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

yea thats kinda what i was thinking...30 is a bit extreme...i guess i was hoping that maybe by dusting off my gas pedal and putting some cool stickers on there i could get that kinda hp ;-) basically i want as much as i can get without compromising reliability and doing it in the most cost effective manor as i am sure most people want the same...

Comment

Originally posted by Quik325ix
                yea thats kinda what i was thinking...30 is a bit extreme...i guess i was hoping that maybe by dusting off my gas pedal and putting some cool stickers on there i could get that kinda hp ;-) basically i want as much as i can get without compromising reliability and doing it in the most cost effective manor as i am sure most people want the same...
                get 19 lb'ers with a mark d 19lb chip and leave it at that!!! forget the M30 the hp it gives alone is unproven (ie does it give power without the 19lb injectors?) and it'll likely to ruin your AFR whether people claim its plug'n play or not (it may plug and play but is it plug and play well). Plenty of cars make good hp with the M20 AFM, but if you want to get rid of the AFM get A MAF or MAP.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

How good are the IE injectors that they sell for the E30?

How much is involved (time and money) in doing MAF vs AFM? I'm having headwork w/new 284/272 cam done, so I'm wondering what the best route to go is... MAF+injectors+AFPR, or AFM+injectors???

Also, I have a JC chip. Does this work with the AFM? I presume MAF conversion is like replacing the whole ECU? Someone please explain!
                  Moving sale: Everything Must Go!
                  FS: 2001 740iL Sport, low mileage..... SOLD
                  FS: 1990 Mtec II 325iS, $12,0K OVNO
                  FS: 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L Navi..... SOLD

FS: New Rieger lip, lachsilber metallic (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)
                  FS: Very rare, new lachsilber metallic E30 Aero pack sideskirts... (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)

Extreme 325iS (well, slowly getting there, anyway)......
                  Almost too many mods to list ;-)

Comment

Going MAF instead of AFM requires either a standalone or a piggyback ecu, since the m20 ecu isn't designed to run a MAF. And since you'll be able to control fueling with the standalone/piggyback, you won't really need an AFPR anymore...

So basically, the m30 AFM route is by far cheaper, but not proven to give you any real gains compared to a MAF swap.

Comment

I believe I saw a webpage page belonging to a r3v member that had a 5-7rwhp after installing the 19lb injectors, M30 AFM, and AFPR. Not sure what the MarkD chip will add to that though.

If well tuned it's an "ok" mod otherwise if you want 30+rwhp you're looking at either boring and stroking your current M20 and/or turbo charging it. Since you own an iX an engine swap will be a much bigger project than a regular E30.

Comment

1.) What are the approximate costs associated with each? (MAF, AFM)
                        2.) Which would be a better idea, considering I am doing head work?
                        3.) Which injectors (recommended) should be used with each swap?
                        4.) If I do AFM, injectors, and AFPR, do I still need a custom-burned chip?

TIA

FS: Very rare, new lachsilber metallic E30 Aero pack sideskirts... (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)

Comment

Originally posted by sweetride01
                          1.) What are the approximate costs associated with each? (MAF, AFM)
                          2.) Which would be a better idea, considering I am doing head work?
                          3.) Which injectors (recommended) should be used with each swap?
                          4.) If I do AFM, injectors, and AFPR, do I still need a custom-burned chip?

TIA
                          1.) A used MAF (of your choice) and an SMT7 piggyback--for example, would set you back about $700. Could go as low as $400 if you find a used SMT6 to put in. An m30 AFM swap, much less, about $100 max. Both costs do not include injectors and chipping. But then again, with a piggyback, no chip would be required.
                          2.) Cost no object, a MAF swap easily trumps the m30 AFM deal.
                          3.) I believe 19lbs/hr injectors would work with both swaps nicely.
                          4.) A custom burned chip will help in both cases.

WIA

Comment

I would only suggest a MAF swap if: (A) You could get everything to do it for under $400 or (B) If you plan to one day install a turbo setup.

Comment

Thank you Mr K.

1.) What would be an APPROXIMATE hp gains figure for each swap?
                              2.) How labor intensive is the MAF swap?
                              3.) Does anyone know if the Irelane Engineering injectors are 19#?
                              4.) So i'd be looking at $1000 for MAF swap?

Comment

Working...
                              X