what is this? (random fuse block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is this? (random fuse block

has 2 wires that come out of the harness under the fuse block hooked to one end of each fuse but nothing on the other side. A previous owner made a halfassed attempt to fix the wires at some point so I'm considering removing it. It has a little plastic cover that says Germany on it so it appears factory but I can't find a reference to it anywhere. Car is an 86 325e.

looks like the auxiliary fuse box. it should have a wire going to it for constant 12v and a wire for switched 12v. It's basically just used for aftermarket accessories.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Looks like it's off a Benz, tho!

heh.

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Ok cool. I think I'll relocate it to my tub of BMW stuff for now and heat shrink off the wires that have been crimped together and sealed with bathtub caulk. :/

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
          looks like the auxiliary fuse box. it should have a wire going to it for constant 12v and a wire for switched 12v. It's basically just used for aftermarket accessories.
          Holy shit that is amazing. Every car should come with that hidden somewhere. BMW or Benz, I'd like to shake the hands of the engineer who put it there and the bean counter that let it remain.
          sigpic
          1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
            Looks like it's off a Benz, tho!
            I guess his has the same fuses as the e28, but my '89 and '91 both have the newer fuse style.

Originally posted by Coupelx View Post
            Ok cool. I think I'll relocate it to my tub of BMW stuff for now and heat shrink off the wires that have been crimped together and sealed with bathtub caulk. :/
            why touch it if everything works? you'll need to double check that nothing has been wired to it over the years.
            sigpic
            1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
            1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
            1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

there is nothing hooked to it and a previous owner had spliced the wires with connectors that were way too big and then sealed them with what appeared to be latex caulk. this was also done to what was left of the brake sensor wires. Wires for the fuse block were trimmed back to the first splice and covered in heat shrink then tucked away for potential future use. I drive this car about 600 miles a week currently so ANYTHING i think could become an issue is dealt with.

Comment

Working...
              X