Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluster-Fucked?

So my speedo doesn't work in my 318i 84'
    And we are thinking it's the cluster not the sensor, what clusters are interchangeable on a 84 418i? Is it any 325i cluster? Or do I have to have a 84-85 one?

anything with the same redline as long as you put the right coding plug in, but if its only your speedo thats broken you can just replace the speedo portion. Should be branded on the front with either VDO or MotoMeter
    1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
    willschnitz

Comment

84-85 only. Uses coding peg instead of a chip. Unless you can find an M10 chip 86-on on a euro model or something. Before you do all that, check/reflow the solder joints on the speedo and mainboard.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

99 times out of 100 when the speedo on the cluster goes, it's the sensor. If you lose speedo AND something else, it's the cluster.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
          Before you do all that, check/reflow the solder joints on the speedo and mainboard.
          This is how I fixed mine.

Comment

VDO are notorious for failing because of the lack of solder on the circuit boards. I fix them all the time!

BTW, ALL speedometers are compatible with each other, even between late and early model e30 clusters.
            Owner - Bavarian Restoration
            BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
            www.BavRest.com
            My Feedback Thread
            Our Facebook!
            Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Appreciate the input, I think I'll start with the solder and work my way back.
              Is it hell tearing these clusters apart or is it pretty straightforward?

Comment

It's fairly easy.

Comment

Working...
                X