Importance of OEM nuts/bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importance of OEM nuts/bolts

I'm currently replacing my front suspension components. When replacing parts such as #10-13 can I just go to a general hardware store and pick those up? There's nothing special about the BMW parts other than their cost, right?

Part numbers for reference:

I say go for the hardware store and use grade 8's

Comment

Alright, thanks. will do.

Comment

What Travis said. Hardware store bolts and nuts are fine as long as they are grade 8 or higher any thing under grade 8 isn't meant to carry the load a car would put on them.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I think as long as you match the grade of the bolt (usually grade 8, but sometimes higher, so you should check what it was) you should be fine.

Comment

Be careful about metric equivalents with hardware store bolts and nuts. Grade 5 SAE is metric grade 8.8. Grade 8 SAE is metric grade 10.9.
            1990 325i: slippery slope from DD/DE car to SE30/ITS
            1991 318is: raw DD
            2004 330i zhp: civilized daily driver

Comment

if you can, try to get metric replacements. while they'll work, the standard bolts will be ever so slightly smaller in diameter than their metric equivalents.

for a bolt like #10, that could leave you with some slop in the swaybar endlink. probably not enough to effect handling... but you never know. just saiyan

Comment

my local ace hardware has all kinds of metric bolts grade 10.9
                1991 318is ---230K - DD
                1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

the factory bolts are zinc coated. Cheaper bolts will be plain or maybe nickel coated, which is prone to rust. Ace does sell some nicer bolts that have a good coating on them, but they're not really any cheaper than buying them through BMW a lot of times.

personally, I began hoarding stock fasteners a long time ago every time I parted something out or took something apart. I clean them and store them in sorted bins. As long as they aren't damaged or rusty, the original fasteners are probably better than what you can get at a hardware store. And I have basically everything so if I lose something or need to replace one for some reason, I've probably got 10 more just like it.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

OP you probably have a Fastenall in your area - all they sell is every variation of nuts and bolts you can think of

go there and you'll be good to go

Comment

Boris3 -Thank you for that clarification, I know vary little about hardware grade specifications, so that definitely saved me a future headache.

Nando- Thanks for bringing up the coating issue, that's something I was worrying about. The reason why i need new hardware in the first place is when I was trying to remove the swaybar endlink mounts, the bolts sheared right off from corrosion.

Jalopi- Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna check out ACE first because it's literally across the street from my house, but if they don't have it I was going to check out fastenal/mcmastercarr

Comment

I agree with Nando.

I've found that the BMW bolts are not all that expensive, and the coating (along with application of anti-seize) will make it way easier on the next guy.

The E30 collection:
                        1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
                        1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
                        1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
                        1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
                        1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
                        1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
                        1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
                        2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
                        2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          the factory bolts are zinc coated. Cheaper bolts will be plain or maybe nickel coated, which is prone to rust. Ace does sell some nicer bolts that have a good coating on them, but they're not really any cheaper than buying them through BMW a lot of times.

personally, I began hoarding stock fasteners a long time ago every time I parted something out or took something apart. I clean them and store them in sorted bins. As long as they aren't damaged or rusty, the original fasteners are probably better than what you can get at a hardware store. And I have basically everything so if I lose something or need to replace one for some reason, I've probably got 10 more just like it.
                          I love my nuts n bolts hoard

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                          OP you probably have a Fastenall in your area - all they sell is every variation of nuts and bolts you can think of

go there and you'll be good to go
                          Fastenall def has a great selection but if they have to,order in anything less than a box, they will charge you a pick fee which you won't like.
                          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                          Alice the Time Capsule
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

BMW bolts aren't expensive when you look at the price for one individual bolt

but they're quite expensive when you consider a 50 pack would cost $31 from BMW whereas mcmaster/fastenal would only charge you $13. or you could spend the same amount of money and upgrade to stainless

yeah i know it isn't the best example since you'd never need that many m8x45's on your car, but the car still has a shitload of bolts if you'd ever need to replace em

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                            Fastenall def has a great selection but if they have to,order in anything less than a box, they will charge you a pick fee which you won't like.
                            all the stores in my area started doing this about a year or two ago too. people weren't too pleased so they started selling these little baggies that had 2-4 nuts or bolts in em. which was nice to offset the pick fee, but their prices literally doubled. ever since then i only go to fastenal if i need something ASAP. otherwise i order from mcmaster

Comment

Yep - as other said - part out another e30 and save ever single nut and bolt you can. It's a total life saver.

I just don't trust hardware store stuff.
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                              X