No announcement yet.

Was the victim of a hit and run. Caught the person. Questions about insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the victim of a hit and run. Caught the person. Questions about insurance

On my lunch break yesterday somebody hit my car and drove off. A witness got their plate number, I called the cops, and they found the person and I have all their insurance info. I'm going to get my car inspected tomorrow. It's a 318i that is in otherwise great condition. What can I expect for this damage? My paint is in otherwise mint condition and I don't want a new fender to not match the rest of my car. What does insurance even value these at? Maybe it's totaled? The grill is cracked too.
    Attached Files

:( So what do you guys think?
    Attached Files

Comment

I think you're very lucky that someone got the plate number and called the cops.

The damage doesn't look bad though, new sidemarker, fender, grille and you should be good to go. I wouldn't worry about paint match, my painter friend says black is one of the easiest colours to match.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Yeah I'm real lucky somebody saw it and got their plate number. The front valence is kind of hanging a bit now too. It's sort of angled downward, probably just needs to be adjusted. I wonder what they value it at. I really don't want some bullshit quote to tell me my car is worth 1500 and they're gonna consider it totaled or some garbage.

Comment

That's what they will probably do. You will have to fight to not get buttsexed. Just a part of the game when dealing with classics.
          No E30 Club
          Originally posted by MrBurgundy
          Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Just looked at the photos, I don't think it will be totaled.

That said, it was totaled the moment those bottlecaps got reinstalled.
            No E30 Club
            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

They're my winter wheels lol

Comment

Looks like minimal damage. Easy fix.
                Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Glad you caught the douche that did it, very lucky. Doesn't look too bad though, can't see them totalling it for that.
                  sigpic
                  1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

Originally posted by Ravosa View Post
                    Yeah I'm real lucky somebody saw it and got their plate number. The front valence is kind of hanging a bit now too. It's sort of angled downward, probably just needs to be adjusted. I wonder what they value it at. I really don't want some bullshit quote to tell me my car is worth 1500 and they're gonna consider it totaled or some garbage.
                    The person who totaled my last vert had Progressive and they really tried to shaft me originally and wanted to give me 1500 at first. Fought it and they gave me 4600. That's more than I paid for it and more than I even put into it. And that's WAAAY more than I would have gotten for it of it weren't in an accident if I sold it. Nobody would have paid 4600 for a slushbox vert that had questionable history.

But you're not gonna get totaled. Get a new fender if you're anal about appearances because even if you "fixed" it, it wouldn't be the same. Repaint it. Fix your valence, get some euro grilles and call it good. This isn't a big deal in the slightest.
                    "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
                    The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

Damn, maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they did call it totaled haha

Comment

So they quoted me at $900 in damages but if I take it to a shop and it ends up costing 1,500 or whatever they'll pay for it. That's fair right? Also, I have a brand new rear bumper cover already primered. Think they'll paint it on the insurance company's dime?

Comment

They probably won't paint the rear bumper on the insurance, but you may find you get a better deal getting it painted at the same time than if you had brought it in on your own. Depends on the shop.
                          '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
                          '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
                          '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Push for OEM parts.
                            Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Working...
                            X