Replaced Drive shaft now I have more problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced Drive shaft now I have more problems

So I had to replace my driveshaft and instead of buying a new one I had my dad and his friend (who repairs drive shafts) cut out the old U-joints and weld new ones in. Everything went back together just as it came out. That being said. I don;t think the drive shaft is my problem. After everything went back together we took it for a drive and the exhaust is leaking, I assume at the headers where we disconnected it AAAANNDD there is a stupid amount of vibration once I get up to speed. We also rotated the wheels because the front tires are a little worn on the inside. So my questions are. How do assess and fix my exhaust leak? And more importantly, what is causing the vibration? What should I check for? Thanks in advance guys

Pic of the weld? My guess is that things did not get welded perfectly.

Comment

Driveshaft needs to be rebalanced.

Sent from th
      sigpic
      1987 325e Lachssilber w/ MarkD chip and late bumpers, Zender EVO spoiler, s3.25 LSD

Originally posted by nando
      I don't think there's really strong evidence that ZDDP harms cats.

Comment

These are the welds.
        Attached Files

Comment

I thought the balancing might be off. I guess I'll be taking it back out then.

Comment

How was the CSB?
            88' BMW 325is - Daily

Comment

Those aren't welds. Or rather, those are fusion welds...

Oh, wait, WTF- they tack- welded the bearing caps in.

That's a new one on me. Seems like it could distort the races that are the inside
              surfaces of the caps...

Yeah, I'd say start with a driveshaft rebalance, and see if the balancing shop finds
              any problems with the spider and cap replacement...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

They need to balance the driveshaft is an assembled unit, not with the halves separated. Also, you need to bias the CSB forward 4-6mm (when you get everything assembled, move the CSB ~5mm toward the front of the car so that a little tension is in the rubber web and then tighten the 13mm bolts).

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
                X