Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What engine swap for improved fuel economy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think about what your fuel savings will be (25-30mpg isnt really a big improvement, and 30 will be tough to reach) to what it would cost for a swap. I bet you can buy a lot of fuel for your M20 with what it would take to break even.

I agree that a diff swap makes the most sense.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My Eta has also been a consistent fuel user... my three year average is 7.8L/100 km (just over 30MPG US for those south of the border).

On some long drives, I have gotten as low as 6.3L/100km (37 MPG US).

During the warmer months, I can get her to average between 7.7 and 7.1 ... 30.5-33 MPG.

I agree that a 2.93 or 2.79 diff would be cost effective as well.
      Estoguy
      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

My M10 which was a 5 spd never got more highway mpg than my m20s w auto trans. Add my vote to a diff swap and possibly detune to run on regular fuel.
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I can't believe no one has suggested the use of a ZF 6 spd. With a 2.93 or 3.15 R&P, you'd still get great acceleration in gears 1-5 and have 6th for highway economy.

I wouldn't pull your existing driveline out just for that, but if you decide to do a 24v swap down the road.. Look into the 6 speed option.
          My feedback:
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
          @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

that's going to cost a lot, if you're doing it for fuel economy, it would take years to break even.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I bet it's half for the fuel economy and half because he wants another project to smash. Amirite, AndyB? Doit.
              Originally posted by Andy.B
              Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
              1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
              ~~~~~~~~~~
              I was born on 3/25…
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Double post ninja edit fail...
                Originally posted by Andy.B
                Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Exactlly! M50 cuz bored
                  Swanny!
                  SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                    I bet it's half for the fuel economy and half because he wants another project to smash. Amirite, AndyB? Doit.
                    Yeah, this is honestly part of it.

I could detune and swap diffs, and lose power to slightly improve fuel economy... Perfectly valid suggestions.

I could also sell the e30 and but a used Chevy Cobalt HF for less money, and get great fuel economy.

Or.....

I could sell off my current go fast goodies to recoup some money, slam in an m50, and gain power AND fuel economy.

It isn't the most practical option, but neither is daily driving an e30. I'm not looking for the best good decision, but the least terrible bad decision.

Comment

M54, but it can get costly if you're not good at wiring. Plus I don't know how much it costs to flash the ECU.
                      My Garage
                      2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                      1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                      1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                      Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Somebody posted the files to delete ews - it could be nearly free.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          Somebody posted the files to delete ews - it could be nearly free.
                          Don't tell me that... I'm already struggling between a M54 swap and a M30 and a possible turbo for it down the line. (I know,weird to be stuck between those two engines.)
                          My Garage
                          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

For the diff choice, my squid tuned 2.7i with the 2.93 indicated 25 mpg in 4th gear and 26 in 5th on the freeway. 65 ish, 4 people in the car, repeated both gears a couple times for a couple minutes to verify results. OBC usually about 3 mpg pessimistic. So going all the way down to a 2.93 isn't necessary IMO because below the higher freeway speeds it only helps so much.

Plus second gear starts coming out of a slow turn or near stop don't really work with the 2.93.

Comment

Working...
                            X