Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 New valve oem springs too short????

M20b25

ordered new oem valve springs pn# 11341706583. Same markings as my old ones: orange and green line across 4 coils. You'd think that old spring would sag after 170k and 26 years.....but here is what I got:

old OEM springs:

free length: 45.50 mm
    coil wire diameter: 3.95mm
    spring diameter: 30.15mm

new OEM springs:

free length: 45.15mm
    wire diameter: 3.95mm
    spring inner diameter: 22.25mm
    spring outer diameter: 30.15mm

Considering springs sag overtime, how can old OEM springs are longer than new OEM ones?

Any ideas?
    Last edited by zaq123; 09-18-2016, 09:35 AM.

I don't know the spec for the springs, but I know that as the spring ages the metal relaxes and the spring can increase its length.

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
      I don't know the spec for the springs, but I know that as the spring ages the metal relaxes and the spring can increase its length.
      I think springs are generally sag.....never heard of them grow...hmm

Comment

i dont see any big issues its 0.35 mm difference isnt it? if you have one of those spring testers just check them out
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
          I think springs are generally sag.....never heard of them grow...hmm
          The valve springs are very tough. They will not sag. Go to the junk yard sometimes and take out some old suspension springs. They are likely to be a bit higher than a new one.

Comment

never heard of them grow
            They ordered one of those thingys from the back of C&D that give you extra length.... in only 7 days.

Never heard of them growing, either. HAVE seen them grow shorter, tilt sideways, break...
            ...but seldom. I agree, BMW's valve springs, especially in the M10- M20 era are very durable.

Like Digger says, what matters are seat and nose pressures- and BMW may have
            figured out a way (different alloy? heat treat? freud am farhen?) to get the right pressures
            that led to a different relaxed height.

Personally, if it revs over 5500, I check the seat and nose pressures with the $65
            spring pressure tester. But I got bitten once by 'racing' springs from a reputable
            vendor that were 'exactly stock' rate and pressures... and low height, to boot.

Crap springs CAN sag. Good ones don't, and tell you how much they can change.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
              i dont see any big issues its 0.35 mm difference isnt it? if you have one of those spring testers just check them out
              Schrick lists 0.25, 0.30, 0.50mm etc spring washers in their catalog....not an expert but I though .35mm could be a big deal???

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                Schrick lists 0.25, 0.30, 0.50mm etc spring washers in their catalog....not an expert but I though .35mm could be a big deal???
                0.35mm is 4lb difference in preload. you can shim it back up if when you check the load its off where you need to be. you wouldnt want seat load to be lower than stock
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                X