Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wtf is the difference between black, blue etc rtv?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wtf is the difference between black, blue etc rtv?

I need to use some RTV on the valve cover gasket butt plugs. I have a thing of blue RTV. Am I going to commit a sin by using the blue instead of black?

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

The black is oil resistant. The blue does not make any claim about oil resistant. Since you are just going to put a few dabs of RTV in the valve cover, I think either RTV is fine.

Comment

Red is high heat. I used that on my valve cover.

Comment

I just use a dab of dielectric grease on the plugs and have never had a leak. IMO RTV is dangerous for internal use since a stray bit can clog an oil passage. Use minimally with great care if you must
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

The Permatex 80022 is a blue rubber gasket maker that comes in a 3 oz tube. It cures to a strong, flexible rubber that seals flanges against leakage and resists shop fluids.
          Oil is a shop fluid. The image on the cardboard backer shows it sealing a water pump, so I'm sure it's safe for engine temps. Although, they make a specific rtv for water pumps (i think it's gray), so I'm not sure why they show that here. Blue is the "sensor safe" rtv. I'm not sure there's a real difference between them, but I like to try to use the specific rtvs for their specific usage.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

I no longer use blue RTV anywhere near my engines because the acetic acid can poison an oxygen sensor and the RTV swells and separates if it comes in contact with gasoline. For the rocker shaft plugs and joint areas of the oil pan gasket I use Toyota black FIPG (form-in-place gasket). It has no acetic acid and it cures to a rubber consistency. It is specofied by Toyota for the exact same areas on the engine, and we all know Toyotas don't leak. You can buy it on Amazon for around $16.

Comment

Originally posted by PKile View Post
              I no longer use blue RTV anywhere near my engines because the acetic acid can poison an oxygen sensor and the RTV swells and separates if it comes in contact with gasoline. For the rocker shaft plugs and joint areas of the oil pan gasket I use Toyota black FIPG (form-in-place gasket). It has no acetic acid and it cures to a rubber consistency. It is specofied by Toyota for the exact same areas on the engine, and we all know Toyotas don't leak. You can buy it on Amazon for around $16.
              That sounds like The Right Stuff, which I've yet to use but I've heard good things about.
              Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I don't like silicone based sealants at all. I use Permatex #2 on everything and haven't had a problem.

Apply a THIN coat to both sides of the gasket and both of the mating parts, let tack for 5-10 minutes, then assemble. I usually do the engine and one side of the gasket, put the gasket on, then do the other side and the valve cover. Makes things less messy.

Comment

I've used the blue before on a Toyota water passage seal back in the day.

While googling last night I was reading about the acetic acid in RTV. I've also heard good things about The Right Stuff.

Jeff, I'll probably go with your advice. However I have the day off and a shopping spree for automotive sealants sounds like a fun way to spend the day!

Comment

I just put on a new VC gasket and plugs with no goop. There wasn't evidence of any there before, so I put them in without. Mistake?

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                      I just put on a new VC gasket and plugs with no goop. There wasn't evidence of any there before, so I put them in without. Mistake?
                      I'd say no... I've done it both ways, with the Permatex Form a Gasket 2 and without. If it was a new VC cover, you should be fine. I think the issue is if you're reusing the gasket. I was doing that, and found there would be some leakage.
                      Estoguy
                      1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Yeah, all new.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                          No goop is better than anything that doesn't mix with oil. I'll get off my silicon free soapbox now
                          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                          Alice the Time Capsule
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I ended up getting a tube of dielectric grease as well as the toyota fipg straight from the dealer. It was the same price as online. I read up on all the RTV, two stage form a gaskets, The Right Stuff, and they all said do not let come in contact with gasoline. They were also all permatex products. However the toyota said it was specifically designed for valvecover/camshaft seals and oil pan seals.

Comment

RTV is dangerous for internal use

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we all know Toyotas don't leak.
                              You haven't met my Fj60....

I just keep a tube of ultra black around- it seems to do the few things
                              that you really need a silicone RTV sealer for...

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X