No announcement yet.

R134 overhaul - weird results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did not replace the pressure switches. They are currently bypassed as I am monitoring pressures by the manifold gauges.

Comment

Quick update. I ran it all the way home today just to see what would happen. It was about 95 out and by the end of my hour commute the vent temps were 45.

I noticed it would get colder no doubt when climbing a hill in 3rd or 4th with high RPM. It sucked ASS at idle. Had to stop at a light one time and it almost got hot enough to open the windows.

Any thoughts?

Comment

My low speed fan circuit isn’t working right so my stationary performance isn’t great, but its good enough.

My radiator fan clutch pretty much fuller engages whenever I run the a/c and I think it is pulling enough air at idle to skate me by, is your locking up?

My high speed fan circuit works correctly and if i sit still for a long time it does turn on my new spal fan and it works well. You can jumper the pins in the radiator temp switch to run your electric fan all the time, may want to drive around like that and see how your system performs. 45º vent temps are really good.

When I charged my system I jumped the temp switch plug to run my fan on high throughout the process, I thought it might help.
        My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
        I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by Garemie View Post
          Quick update. I ran it all the way home today just to see what would happen. It was about 95 out and by the end of my hour commute the vent temps were 45.

I noticed it would get colder no doubt when climbing a hill in 3rd or 4th with high RPM. It sucked ASS at idle. Had to stop at a light one time and it almost got hot enough to open the windows.

Any thoughts?
          Have you tried running the car on recirc? E30 AC performance is not great when *also* attempting to dehumidify fresh air.
          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

doesn't the aux fan turn on automatically when you press the AC button?
            1991 318is ---230K - DD
            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
              doesn't the aux fan turn on automatically when you press the AC button?
              It's supposed to.
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                It's supposed to.
                Yeah and Jeff kindly helped me through getting my new one wired up correctly. Mine should come on at high speed when I turn on the a/c. The low speed circuit on my car is functional from the radiator temp switch, I can jump both sides of that switch successfully. I think in my case I need a new relay, fuses are good. Problem is, my a/c works pretty well, even at 90º and 80% humidity, so I’m not all that concerned.

Sorry for the derail, OP.
                My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                  Have you tried running the car on recirc? E30 AC performance is not great when *also* attempting to dehumidify fresh air.
                  I live in the Sierra Nevadas there is literally no humidity ever.

I'm dreading having to drain and flush this system again..... HELP

Comment

I live in the Sierra Nevadas there is literally no humidity ever.

I'm dreading having to drain and flush this system again..... HELP
                    E30 AC is also not really able to work at a very high temperature spread. If it's 90 degrees outside, it'll chill the air somewhat, but if you keep feeding it fresh 90 degree air, it'll never keep up.

You need to run it on recirc to get strong AC performance.

That said, yours is worse than I'd expect.
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

The ball joint on the recirc flaps usually breaks off so one more thing to check.

Comment

The recirc valve makes an audible difference so I imagine it is working. I ran it all the way home again today. By the time I got home it was 45* vent temps.

The only time it really sucks is at idle, though it really hasn't been that hot. There will be days of 100+

How do you check the ball joint?

Comment

garemie do you have the white 318 that was for sale recently? sorry off topic your like the closest r3v member to me XD

Comment

Might be a bit left of field, but the other thing to check could be the heater valve? Is it fully closing?

Mine hasn't worked properly for years and it blows some heat even when turned to cold. I can't actually notice it that much unless I drive in sandals and then I can feel my feet get pretty hot in summer - with solid shoes you don't really notice that much although it wouldn't be helping in my non-AC e30!
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Good thing to check. How can I check? Is there an adjustment? I imagine that the valve is actuated by a cable pull?

Comment

Good thing to check. How can I check? Is there an adjustment? I imagine that the valve is actuated by a cable pull?
                                The heater valve is electrical. It's located on the pipes going into the heater core in the driver's footwell. I'd just check to see if the heater core is hot after driving. Touch test if you're a risk taker, or better to use an IR thermometer.
                                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X