Heater constantly blowing air...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heater constantly blowing air...

My heater in my 325iX will constantly blow air. It doesn't matter if the switch is on 0,1,2,3 or 4.

It seems like it's always stuck on the 1 setting or so. If I want to turn it off I just have to put all the horizontal switches to the left.

It will blow cold air, but I have had it on heat mostly since it's been COLD up here lately.

Blower motor maybe? I thought it might be the blower resistor pack like everyone else's problem, but it doesn't change on the 4 setting like everyone else?

Thanks
    -Erik

Do you have teh AC or recirculation buttons pushed? Those force fan speed 1 even if the switch is off.

Do you still get air when the car is stopped?
    Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Both A/C and Recirculation buttons are off, and if I turn the car off the heater is also turned off.

When I cold start the car, it's hardly blowing out, then as it warms up it picks up a little, but it still feels like maybe level 1, maybe 2 at max...

Thanks
      -Erik

Comment

put it on cold then it blows cold air. mines done the same for years....

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Sorry I think I sort of messed up when writing this...

It's not just blowing heat, if I change the temp I can get cold air, it's just that i've only been blowing hot air, since it's chilly up here. But I can get cold air.

The problem is that no matter what speed setting it is on (0,1,2,3,4) I get the same amount of air.

And if I stop I believe I still get hot/cold air blowing. But I am at work right now and can't check that out for sure.

Thanks so far
          -Erik

Comment

Now that im thinking about it. does it happen when your moving or staying still or both?

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
              Now that im thinking about it. does it happen when your moving or staying still or both?
              I am gonna give this a try on the way to school tonight and ill post after I am out...
              -Erik

Comment

your switch needs to be replaced my best bet.

Comment

OK so new update...

As soon as I get up to speed it starts blowing slightly, cold or warm, whatever I set it to. As soon as I come to a stop, all the air stops coming out.

Not sure what this means...

Thanks
                  -Erik

Comment

I thought it was spelled heeter.

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Originally posted by tusamni View Post
                      OK so new update...

As soon as I get up to speed it starts blowing slightly, cold or warm, whatever I set it to. As soon as I come to a stop, all the air stops coming out.

Not sure what this means...

Thanks
                      It means nothing is wrong. Air comes into the car when you move and have the vents open; especially if you have the sunroof or windows cracked open.
                      Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS View Post
                        It means nothing is wrong. Air comes into the car when you move and have the vents open; especially if you have the sunroof or windows cracked open.

But the switch still does nothing? So I should replace the switch then?

Thanks
                        -Erik

Comment

Oh so the switch does nothing 0-4?

Edit. if thats the case its prolly the blower moter and not the switch. ive seen more moters go bad then switches.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Correct,

Here are some totally awesome PS images I made :p

1st Scenario

So here the air (whether hot or cold) is off. Nothing comes out no matter what speed the car is moving at.

2nd Scenario

So here the air (whether hot or cold) is coming on. The speed of the air corresponds to the speed of the car.

3rd Scenario

So here the air (whether hot or cold) is coming on. The speed of the air corresponds to the speed of the car. The difference is that I have changed the speed to '4'. Yet the same amount of air is coming out in scenario 2. The move to speed 4 does nothing.

The images probably just made things more confusing, but I hope they did something.

Thanks
                            -Erik

Comment

the images made me laugh. nice visual. check the blower moter see how well its spins. its prolly toast. never know though. i hope its a switch cuz switches are much cheaper than a moter.

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                              X